KW
Posted By
Ken_Wolin
Jan 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve often purchased off-brand ink cartridges at various computer shows in my area. So far, I haven’t noticed any differences except an enormous savings in price (Epson’s color cartridge is about $20 while the off-brand sells for around $7).

Any good "success" or "failure" stories out there regarding these off-brand cartridges? I’ve been warned to stay away from the refillable systems, but with all the printing I do, there’s an appreciable amount to save.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MR
Mark_Reibman
Jan 19, 2004
I used off brand cartridges in my Epson 740. After I used them for awhile I had serious problems with my printer that eventually led me to declare it a lost cause. Now, I don’t know that the non epson cartridges caused the problem. It might have happened anyway. At the repair shop I was told that with Epson printers you are running more of risk because the cartridges do not have replaceable nozzels as some printers do. Since that experience I’ve been a little reluctant to take a risk with my new printer. I do know that a lot of folks have been doing okay with the continuous feed system and I’d be tempted to try it if I get into volume printing. Now I’m avoiding non epson cartridges and trying to buy epson when I see them on sale.
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 20, 2004
Ken,
I’ve never purchased any "trade show" cartridges, but I have switched to a non-OEM inkset on my Epson printer with very good results, so far. I decided to take the plunge and use a continuous flow system for inks, where the ink is drawn into the cartridge from bottles through tubing. This setup allows purchasing reputable inks , by the bottle ( about 1/10th the price of ink by the cartridge ) and makes ink costs much less a factor. There are several reputable vendors of these inks, www.mediastreet.com, www.inksupply.com , www.inketmall.com ( probably more that I haven’t been following ) .
<http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~bbertram/CFS1.jpg> is an image of the setup, note the messy printer from not following directions <G> .

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 20, 2004
I definietly wouldn’t chance it with my Epson but that’s me…the always careful one…however, there was a thread here a while back where someone was complaining about their Epson printer and problems with printing…they were using non-epson ink…sooooo, that was enough of a push for me to stay clear of ‘cheaper’ ink. Buying authentic ink is cheaper than buying a new printer before I have to 😉
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 20, 2004
I worried a lot about this, too, Jodi . It took me 6 months to decide to take the plunge, and then I put the CFS system on my Christmas list. I decided that I could always get a new printer for $100, if I needed to, and I could save that much on ink in about 4 months. So far, its been a good gamble with the additional benefit of archival inks.

🙂

Brent
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 20, 2004
There are lots of prior posts on this subject. Some people have very good luck with them, but with my Epson printer, I stick with the Epson ink cartridges now. After performing major q-tip surgery on my printer when a generic cartridge soaked the whole innards, I went back to Epson-expensive ink cartridges.
But now I upload my pictures to be printed to a site like Shutterfly, ClubPhoto, Ophoto, and others. They are done on photo paper, much cheaper and easier.
Jane
N
nytrashman7618
Jan 20, 2004
Brent………is that an epson 890 in your photo? if so i have the same printer using an MIS CFS system. one thing i noticed in your photo is the ink bottle in front on the left is VERY yellow in color compared mine. are you using dye based ink? oh i just read you are using archival ink, where i am using there dye based ink. anyway, i love there ink system, hope your having great success with yours like i am.
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 20, 2004
George,
Once I got past the "don’t follow directions" installation, all has gone well. MIS has the least expensive CFS, by far. I’m using Generations ProPhoto Ink , from Mediastreet, and so far, haven’t had problem 1 ! <knock on plastic >

And "yes" it’s an 890 . Sweet printer !!

🙂
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 20, 2004
Brent, does the printer cover stay open all the time, or was that for the picture? If you close the cover is there any problem with the tubing flexing too much as the head travels?

Dick
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Jan 20, 2004
Dick, with my luck, I’d put the cover down, sever an ink tube and have cyan (or magenta or yellow) spritzed all over the walls…
🙂
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 20, 2004
Wow, Chuck, cool, a tie-dyed wall!
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 20, 2004
Dick,
The cover does not fully close, and when it does close, it sits on the tubes . My walls could stand a paint job, I suppose <G> .

🙂

Brent
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 20, 2004
Is this how Paintball got started?
Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 20, 2004
Can’t you just imagine. Paintball at 300ppi? 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 21, 2004
Ouch!
Jane
T
taylor
Jan 21, 2004
I just invested in a nice hp Photo smart printer. I had always used refflls in my old $49.00 (threw away canon) printer.

HP tpld me if I use refils I void my warentee. They said they could tell if you have been using brandX ink

wrote in message
I’ve often purchased off-brand ink cartridges at various computer shows in
my area. So far, I haven’t noticed any differences except an enormous savings in price (Epson’s color cartridge is about $20 while the off-brand sells for around $7).
Any good "success" or "failure" stories out there regarding these
off-brand cartridges? I’ve been warned to stay away from the refillable systems, but with all the printing I do, there’s an appreciable amount to save.
T
tracy1m
Jan 26, 2004
As far as I know these off brand ink have no archival guarantee and could fade within a year. I would recommend you rather to pay more for original ink so your pictures last longer.
The longest lasting paper is the silver halide paper which are used in minilabs and commercial labs, they are chemaical processed. Kodak estimates they have a lifespan of 60-100 years depending on the paper quality.

For instance Ofoto – ofoto.com uses Kodak regular paper which could last around 60 yrs. Kellards – www.kellards.com is one of the only labs that I found use Kodak Royal Paper which has a greater life expectancy.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections