C
Posted By
collinsbt
Aug 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I use a vector mask in a layer it makes the image anti aliased. Is there a way to use this feature and maintain a solid clean edge?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 17, 2004
With a Path "layer" selected in the Paths palette: click on the Layer in the Layers Palette which you want to affect; and Cmd. Click on the "Add Layer Mask" icon.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 17, 2004
Your file’s resolution may be too low.
C
collinsbt
Aug 17, 2004
Ann I tried your method but the layer mask is still making the graphic anti alias. I am running photoshop cs on a g4 dual 1000 300 dpi file.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 17, 2004
Switch to bitmap mode.

Really, it would help to know what you are trying to accomplish. You will never have a clean straight edge in a bitmapped image, unless it is an image of a perfect level square, because pixels do not chop off at angles. Higher resolution, as Todie suggests, is one way to achieve the look of a clean edge. 1600ppi and above is going to be very clean at 100% size. Again, what are you trying to accomplish?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 17, 2004
You could turn your vector mask into a custom shape (Edit>Define Custom Shape) then use it to draw the shape on a new layer in the rasterized mode (third icon in the Options Bar). Make sure Antialised is unchecked.
C
collinsbt
Aug 17, 2004
What I am trying to accomplish is a hard vector like edge within a layer, just like if you applied a clipping mask on a tiff in illustrator. You can right click a path, go to make selection, click off anti alias. then cmd click and make a layer mask the edge is solid. Is there an anti alias button or something to un click for paths. The reason for this is to be able to switch dpi and still have a hard edge. I know that I can do this with the bitmapped version but, it would make my life a whole lot easier if I could get the effect of an illustrator clipping mask within a photoshop layer.
LT
Laurentiu_Todie
Aug 17, 2004
don’t forget the feather
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 17, 2004
collinsbt,

Sorry, but I’m pretty sure that what you want to do can’t be done in Photoshop.
JS
John_Slate
Aug 18, 2004
I’m not sure how vector masks work, but imagine they follow the same rules as all vectors in Photoshop which display at the file’s resolution usually with an anti-aliased edge.

Key word: Display.

If saved in a format that retains vectors the edges will naturally render at the rez of whatever printer they are sent to.

What you see is not what you get.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 18, 2004
<< You can right click a path, go to make selection, >>

STOP. Right there. Do NOT "make a selection".

Highlight the Path palette layer then
try doing EXACTLY as I described in my previous post.
DK
Doug_Katz
Aug 18, 2004
Right. You want to make a VECTOR mask. Which is a mask that uses one or more PATHS AS THE MASK, not selections that are made FROM those paths. Follow Ann’s instructions — and John Slate’s insight — and you’ll achieve Nirvana.
C
collinsbt
Aug 18, 2004
john, I understand the display viewed sometimes is not what you get, but if the vector mask is later flattened out the art is still anti aliased which tells me that it is not a display problem. Ann I tried your method over and over but with no success. maybe you could e-mail me a simple file with a vector mask without anti-alias to Thanks for all your help.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 18, 2004
I have just sent you a file.

But do realize that you will see on-screen stair-stepping on diagonals and curves if you zoom into pixel-level viewing. These get smoothed out at the resolution of the image-setter when the file is finally RIPped.

On the otherhand, true vertical and horizontal vector-edges are crisp.

If you are making a Vector mask correctly, you will never even see an option for anti-alias edges! You only see that option if you make a Selection from a path—which is exactly what you should NOT be doing in this case!

And, do be careful of the way in which you publish your e-mail address in these forums—you don’t want to get bitten by spiders!

This way is safer:
bill at massiveinc dot com.
C
collinsbt
Aug 18, 2004
Thanks so much for all of your help. I went ahead and printed the vector mask and the printout has a clean edge, but the way we do color separations eventually all of the vector masks become merged which ends up with a fuzzy (anti alias) edge. What I am looking for is a solid bitmapped edge when the vector mask is rasterized, but I don’t think it is possible.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 18, 2004
I don’t know how you "do color seps." but it sounds as if you need to change your methods—or buy a new RIP!

Why don’t you just put your files together in InDesign CS; Export to PDF (using Press standards); and output the PDFs to the RIP.

That way the sharp edges of your vectors and type will be retained and rasterized correctly.
C
collinsbt
Aug 18, 2004
we are not doing standard 4 color process. we work in screenprinting t-shirts and use up to 14 spot colors to print. I can achieve what I need to do through bitmap path selections which are turned into channels and later applied for retouching and layer masks. But if i could use vector masks that did not become anti alias when merged would save me a ton of time. what we do here is unlike any other printing and is really hard to explain, but thanks again for your help.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Aug 18, 2004
Rubylith.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections