M
Posted By
monkey7
Aug 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve just recently switched to Photoshop CS and I’m having "issues" with the layer selecting. In PS7 you could command+click on a layer to select it. With CS, I find that doing so will select hidden layers above it. Is there a way to turn this off? I’m aware of the contextual menu that brings up the layers list, but when working with a few hundred layers and not naming them as many of us don’t, it’s impossible to locate that one image you need.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 17, 2004
Uncheck AutoSelect Layer in the Options Bar with Move tool selected. Does this do it? Not quite sure O get youir question.
GB
g_ballard
Aug 17, 2004
In the Photoshop preview window (that is displaying your image) Control+Option+Command+click
on any pixel of the layer you want

For example, if you have a hand on layer 50, simply
Control+Option+Command+click(ing)
on the hand will make layer 50 highlighted in the layers pallet.

This sure beats going to the layers pallet and trying to figure what pixels are on what layer…
M
monkey7
Aug 18, 2004
i’m still having the same problem. it’s selecting hidden layers above the layer i need. this is excruciating! i’m trying to work with a file from another designer that contains a couple hundred layers and he has embedded layer sets within layer sets within yet more layer sets in CS so i can’t just open the file in PS7. in PS7 it was as simple as holding command and clicking on the layer and it would jump to it and ignore the hidden layers above it. now i spend 15 minutes just looking for a hidden layer trying to make sense of it all.

i’ve tried both the problems above. auto select layer means that it simply selects the layer when you just click on it… however, it’s still selecting hidden layers. the Control+Option+Command+click method gets the same results. i’ve never quite heard of holding all three keys, but regardless.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections