N
Posted By
Narcissus
Jan 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been frustrated with the option for a few weeks now. When attempting to open a media file it smacks me with an error saying "PhotoshopElemen.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created."

I used to be able to take screen shots of both music and anime files. Now it will only let me do music videos. They have the same file extension if that helps in isolating the problem.

My OS is Windows 2000.

Any response would be greatly appreciated. ^_^

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ray
Jan 22, 2004
Narcissus,

Have you updated Windows Media Player lately, or downloaded an application to read or edit multimedia content (avi files, mpeg, dvd, etc.) ? If so, one of them might have, on purpose, replace a file required to decode the audio-video files. It happened to me once, after I downloaded
an upgrade for my ATI video card, all of sudden, Windows Media Player would skip several frames in MPEG movies. I uninstalled and all went back to normal, as before.

Ray
N
Narcissus
Jan 22, 2004
Hmm…don’t recall downloading anything, but I’ll look anyways.

Thank you kindly Ray.
LM
Lou_M
Jan 22, 2004
Narcissus, can you still play the anime files in Windows Media Player? Are they *.wmv files?
N
Narcissus
Jan 22, 2004
Lou, I am unable to play the anime files in Windows Media Player. I get this message:

"The DIV3 codec is required to play this file. To determine if this codec is available to download from the Web, click Web Help."

And yes, they’re .wmv files.
R
Ray
Jan 22, 2004
Ha… we’re getting closer !

If you have an error number, or the complete message, try to go to Microsoft.com and search their Knowledge base. Under different circumstances, I’d have done it myself, but Microsoft decided that since my WinXP is French, I can’t search quickly on the English language knowledge base. I mean I can, but it requires 2 million, 7 hundred, 45 thousands, 2 hundred and 6 different steps just to get
to microsoft.com in English.

Sorry, it’s not a Mac vs Microsoft thing. It’s just that Microsoft wants to help users, but sometimes, just a little too much.

You might find an article that says how to download the codec, or how to repair it.

Ray
N
Narcissus
Jan 22, 2004
Oy. I made a stupid mistake. I confused the file’s associated program with it’s actual extension.

After taking off the folder preference option that hid the file extension, I retested the two different formats that I have.

Results:

..wmv-works
..avi-doesn’t work "This clip contains no video tracks and will not be opened" On certain files it gives that message, and on others it gives the original error message.

I’m terribly sorry for the confusion.
R
Ray
Jan 22, 2004
Narcissus,

Ok, try this. Locate the file mplay32.exe. For Windows XP, it’s in this folder : C:\WINDOWS\system32. Double click on it, and open your AVI file. If it doesn’t play in this player, then the file is probably corrupted or encoded in a different format.

Can your Windows Media Player open other AVI files ? Or do you always get the same error message ?

Ray
LM
Lou_M
Jan 22, 2004
OK, I googled for "DIV3 codec" and found this link:

<http://www.divx-digest.com/software/divxcodec.html>

I don’t guarantee that it works, though, since I get lost between all those "DivX" "DivX;)" and whatnot codecs. I generally stick to MPEG-1/2/4 since they play everywhere without needing to download anything.
RC
Richard_Coencas
Jan 22, 2004
The Frame from Video uses system Codecs, so can only play files that the OS supports. The basic test is indeed what you have been trying, if Windows Media Player can play it.

Rich

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections