M
Posted By
mharris96
Nov 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Out of the box file browse worked fine. Now nothing happens when I click file browse. Can’t find any preferences that would affect this. Resource should not be an issue, I have 3Gig processor and 1 Gig memory.

Any help appreciated. Oh, reinstalling did not help.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

LG
Lorace_Graham
Nov 28, 2003
Hi, I had this problem, too. I found the feature beneath the Taskbar on the left side of my screen and had to grab the top and pull it up.

Hope this helps,

Lorace
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Nov 28, 2003
And my browser hides at the bottom of the screen; I have to maximize the Elements window then hit the Tab key to find where it’s lurking….
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 28, 2003
And mine works just fine.

Sorry, but this sounded kind of like Goldilocks and the Three Bears: "Mine’s behind the Toolbar; mine’s at the bottom of the screen; and mine is just right." 🙂

I’m leaving.
M
mharris96
Dec 9, 2003
Beth – Glad yours works, but the question is why do Lorace, Chuck and I have the problem, and you don’t?

By the way, using a combination of both techniques above, I found the browse window. I am a beginner, and I never knew the task bar at the left even existed [it was so far to the left it was not visible] until I read the response from Lorace.

Thanks
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 9, 2003
I got so tired of my browser hiding under my task bar, I checked the dock to palette well option so it now sits in my palette well.

Terri
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 9, 2003
mharris, I believe it is because Beth is on a mac. Mine is fine in X, but it hides at the bottom of the screen in XP–very annoying.
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 9, 2003
My File Browser keeps crawling off the bottom of the screen, too…

I haven’t found any specific cause (i.e. "heavy" editing session, long interval between uses), so just think of it as a mildly-annoying, yet endearing, quirk of an otherwise predictable app.
MM
Michael Moody
Dec 9, 2003
So does mine, W2K Pro.

wrote in message
My File Browser keeps crawling off the bottom of the screen, too…
I haven’t found any specific cause (i.e. "heavy" editing session, long interval between uses), so just think of it as a mildly-annoying, yet endearing, quirk of an otherwise predictable app.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 10, 2003
My browser has crawled off the screen for the last time; I fired it and replaced it with another browser…

🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 10, 2003
I want to fire my maid. She’s useless.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 10, 2003
Jodi, good idea. You just can’t get good help these days…
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 10, 2003
that’s for sure 🙂

good thing i got friends like you. 😉
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 10, 2003
Jodi, you have more friends than you could ever imagine!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 10, 2003
ya, they bite me while i sleep at night 😉
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 10, 2003
aw, c’mon…..

🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 10, 2003
ok, might take a while…Texas is so far away.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 10, 2003
haha! You haven’t lost your sense of humor – that’s good!!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 10, 2003
c’mon Chuck, be a good little soldier and let me be nice 🙂
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 10, 2003
Jodi, you ARE nice! There are a zillion people you’ve helped on this forum who would vouch for that…
LG
Lorace_Graham
Dec 10, 2003
What do you pay, Jodi?

hmmm?

lol

Lorace

Just kidding. I love being retired.
M
mharris96
Dec 10, 2003
Terri – Dock to palette well works great – thanks.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 11, 2003
Is the escaping File Browser only available in Windows? … on the Mac it seems quite well behaved.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Wendy, yes it’s only for us Windozers who live dangerously…never knowing when the crash may come (again)….
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 11, 2003
What, oh no, another crash? Arrrgggghhhhh!!

Dick
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Dick, I’ve found the crashes in XP to be much fewer and farther between, but they’re more of the stealth variety; had one a couple days ago where I wasn’t even touching the keyboard…
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 11, 2003
I’ve never had a system crash …knock on wood

Compaq Presario
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 11, 2003
Jodi, do you leave well enough alone on your PC? Somehow or another I just can’t seem to. It’s so clogged up I’m always amazed anything works.

Chuck — yes XP is far more stable than 98 ever was, at least for me. I do however tend to get program lockups but I think that is because there isn’t enough headroom on this PC. But it’s like a garage or a basement, don’t ‘ya know, the more room the more stuff!

Dick
R
Ray
Dec 11, 2003
Chuck,

These crashes often occured when XP is installed over a previous Windows version. Cure: reinstall from scratch 🙁

Ray

Dick, I’ve found the crashes in XP to be much fewer and farther between, but they’re more of the stealth variety; had one a couple days ago where I wasn’t even touching the keyboard…

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Ray, yes….I know. But the headaches that would have resulted from an install from scratch would have been far worse than my weekly ‘hiccup’…

🙂
R
Ray
Dec 11, 2003
I agree totally with you. My friend wants to buy me a new Palm (handheld device) for Christmas. Mine is showing sign of advanced wearing and I can’t turn it on from the first press on the power switch. But having to reconfigure every piece of software that I have for it made me say "Please,
don’t do that to me, I’ve been a good boy..!" Although color and increase memory is tempting, the
headaches associated with the reconfiguration is just too much.

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Ray, very ironic – the one device that seems to be able to crash XP at will is my new Palm Zire 71 when it’s sitting on its USB-connected cradle…

🙂

Chuck
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 11, 2003
I had heard a lot about problems doing an upgarde from 98 to XP. So, I solved that one, went out, bought a new harddrive, installed XP from scratch on that drive and then made it the boot drive. I bought a switch from Tiger Direct that lets me choose which drive I want to boot from. Tho, I haven’t booted it in 98 for many months.

Dick

EDIT: Chuck, is that a documented problem with the Palm Zire? I was considering getting one but…..
R
Ray
Dec 11, 2003
Japanese proverb : Yesterday it worked, today it doesn’t. Windows is like that. Please reinstall.

🙂

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Dick, I don’t know – I’m more inclined to blame my overlay installation of XP and some old Palm software that behaves strangely on the 71. I probably should look at the Palm website, huh? The built-in camera is a toy, by the way – not worth whatever it adds to the price of the PDA. Good conversation piece, though…

Chuck
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 11, 2003
Dick, not sure what I’m doing right but I’m like this with everything I own…I baby things. I don’t open more than one app at a time and I houseclean on a regular basis. Running 1.5ghz 60GB HD P4 with 896 DRam XP Home. Compaq Presario
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
Hey, Dick! Tell me more about that switch, please! I’ve been running two drives/two systems for over a year now. When the computer is already booted, swapping is easy, but when the computer is shut down I have to boot on the last drive used first and then switch to the other one. Do you suppose that gizmo you’ve got would work on a Mac, and would it let me select a boot drive from "cold"?
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 11, 2003
Beth,

I don’t know why it wouldn’t work on a MAC. Seems to me to be simply a switch. There was no software with it at all. It has a twin cable that plugs into the jumper block on each drive. When the switch is one way it boots from disk "a" and from disk "b" in the other.

I found it in the Tiger Direct printed catalog last year and then found it on line as well. To be sure about the MAC you’d have to call them. The actual device fits into a 3 1/2 inch drive bay, don’t know how that is done on a MAC.

dick
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
I’ll have to look into that, Dick. Thanks for clueing me in on a creature like that; I never would have thought to look for it!
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 11, 2003
You’re welcome, Beth.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 11, 2003
Beth, on a mac with X, if you hold down the option key at startup you can choose your drive or partition.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
That doesn’t work on mine, probably because they both run from an IDE controller card instead of off the mobo. Which means, after I thought about it more, that a switch may not do the job either.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Beth, re ‘IDE controller’ and ‘mobo’: you sure are a techie!

🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
A person picks up all kinds of useless info when they take one of these things apart and scatter it all over the floor of their den. 🙂

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections