FM
Posted By
Frances_Madden
Jul 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Update. Re installed PS CS1, trashed the TWAIN Plugin, didn’t empty trash, started PS up fine. However, couldn’t import from PS or PSE from scanner. So decided to quit both, put the TWAIN plugin back in PS, and it started up fine. Could then import from scanner. So I then copied and pasted the TWAIN Plugin back into Elements and it worked fine.

Seems like first time starting up after install, both programmes can’t handle the TWAIN plugin, but if you do the first start up without it, and then put it back, they manage fine.

Strange.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 15, 2006
Frances:

Since the advent of OSX you really shouldn’t scan from inside of Photoshop at all.

It is SO much more efficient to scan using your scanning software in stand-alone mode while you use Photoshop to get on with other work simultaneously — such as retouching scans that you made earlier.
S
Shack
Jul 16, 2006
I’m SOOOO glad I discovered this posting. I had exactly the same problem on my brand new iMac. Photoshop worked just fine for a month, then suddenly today it wouldn’t start up. I’d been having some problems with my Epson scanner (which I’m still having — it would not get past the "warm up" stage… intermittently) — so I went to the Epson website and ATTEMPTED to update the driver. But that installation was unsuccessful. It wouldn’t complete the installation, so I ended up just putting back the old driver I had from my back up drive. But in the meantime, it did something screwy to my Photoshop (and Photoshop Elements). Neither of them would start up. They wouldn’t get past the "creating Twain menus" (or something like that). NOW I’ve followed the simple steps described above here in this thread — renaming the Twain plugins with a tilde and putting them in a separate folder on the desktop — and abracadabra, Photoshop now starts up just fine. Thanks for posting your help! And I’m so happy that it helped me!! Now back to work.
P
Phosphor
Jul 16, 2006
If you never use TWAIN you can just trash it entirely.

If you need it in the future, just load it from the disk.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections