O
Posted By
omiof5
Jul 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ann, I just want to thank you again for the advice. I bought the book and PS CS, and both are wonderful. I’ve also taken several photography classes at the local JC, and now I’m out of the stage of "without a clue" and into the stage of "woefully ignorant."

By the way, I know many PS users disagree about the value of PSE, but I think it’s a great (relatively) inexpensive chance to work beyond a one-month trial. I switched to PS because I kept wanting to do things that the limited PSE couldn’t do. Because many of the menus and windows look similar in PS, though, I felt very comfortable right away. (Must admit, though, that I miss the Photo Bin.)

So, I just wanted to let you know that you didn’t waste your time on me. I followed through on your expert advice and, even though I recognize that I’ll always be an amateur, I’m having a wonderful time stretching and exploring. ;-}

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 16, 2006
An "amateur" is one who loves what she is doing and in that sense, I hope that you will always be one — but I suspect that you will very soon be an Expert and Professional "Amateur".

Lots of luck — and do come back here when ever you have questions.

[Actually, i will be away from all computers for the next month but there are always plenty of other people here to help.]
CS
Carl_Stawicki
Jul 16, 2006
Just a few thoughts if it’s not too late.

It doesn’t seem that Judy’s scrapbooking has anything to do with web pages. Maybe the png is used because of it’s transparency capabilities, meaning you can overlay them in your scrapbook software and they act like cut-outs. How png’s work in IE is irrelevant.

As already mentioned, iPhoto just used black background for png’s. I noticed that it will make a thin white outline around text, though, so you can read the text if it’s black. I think Apple’s answer to the problem is an embarrassment. You can’t have profiles embedded in png’s in the first place, and even if you could, the profile wouldn’t make the transparent background black.
W
wifetalks
Jul 16, 2006
Carl. you are absolutely right. As digital scrapbookers we use png heavily because they are transparent and produce a better quality than transparent gif. Our use has nothing to do with Internet Explorer. We use them strictly in our digital layouts because they overlay perfectly.

The problem is that iPhoto creates jpg thumbnails and for the png images, it is filling in the transparent areas of the thumbnail in black. I think the color profile has nothing to do with it. It is strictly how the thumbnails are generated in iPhoto, which leads me to believe that it is an iPhoto/Apple problem. But of course, Apple has been of no help as of yet.

Still hoping for a solution, but til then, I will be submimtting feedback to Apple on the situation.

Thanks.
Rayne
O
omiof5
Jul 17, 2006
Carl, thanks for your post — you explained very clearly what I said wrong in the earlier posts so I understand (kinda) why some people were frustrated by my questions. ;-}

Hi to you, too, rayne. Have held onto your emails but, as you can see, I never found a solution to the png and iPhoto problem.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections