T
Posted By
TerryHarlan
Jul 21, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
We have experienced this random, intermittent problem for years! We run all the routine maintenances ie: Cron: Daily, Weekly and monthly. Repair permission before and after ever update, Re-install program, 10 gig separate scratch disk partition, Stand alone scratch drives, 75% allocation of 4 gigs of RAM, we have replaced the color book file itself, tossed preferences Ect, Ect, Ect and still there is no rhyme or reason to this error. The file will not open on one machine, but open just fine on another machine, thus ruling out file corruption. A restart on the machine will sometimes work and sometimes not. One thing that seems to somewhat work consistently is to open the file through the drop down "File Open" menu. The only completely consistent aspect to this error it the constant replies of “you need to run all the maintenance to resolve the problem”. Although I do agree that it is important to keep your machine fine tuned, this is just a shot in the dark for a unknown problem. Chris has the best answer to date, we just don’t know! So keep your head up, fine tune your machine and take a deep breath when it happens. If anyone has a true resolve, we’re all ears! Terry

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Jul 21, 2006
I’m seeing triple… %D
T
TerryHarlan
Jul 21, 2006
I so feel the pain of these users! Sometimes thats all we need. As the old saying goes "Misery loves company!"
R
russellcory
Jul 25, 2006
Years you say? You would think that for the $$$ we are shelling out over years of time Adobe would fix this. Or at least get a decent error message.

I got Cocktail and run it nightly and keep my fingers crossed when opening new files…

Thanks Ramón for all your help. And thanks Terry for the knowledge that I’m not going crazy.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 26, 2006
If it were an Adobe bug, they would fix it.

This seems related to corrupted preferences files or corrupted color book files. Neither one of which are caused by Adobe’s software.
SL
Suzane_Leblanc
Oct 23, 2006
From another post (I’ve tested it on 2 different machines & it solved the problem):

– Photoshop crash: "Could not load the color book…" Have you any custom colours in your swatches palette?

I was having this problem with Photoshop CS, OX10.3, the problem turned out to be some earlier photoshop version custom colour swatches that I had previously created and then loaded into my CS swatches palette.

I reset and replaced the swatches to the default swatches. Reloaded and resaved the custom colours into a new CS swatches .aco file and the problem seems to have been solved. –

So, I opened PS and saved my custom swatches in the swatches palette, then reset them to default and the problem went away completely. It’s something so heinously simple that I almost burst out laughing. I guess it doesn’t really matter if the swatches are from an earlier PS version, I think sometimes the swatches in general create a glitch. I hope this helps you! I’m guessing this thread is pretty much dead now, so again, thanks to everyone for the help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections