Is TIFF/IT-P1 different from a regular TIFF?

RC
Posted By
ricardo_cortes
Jul 28, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, I’m designing a small advertisment (B&W) in Photoshop. It’s really a pretty simple thing. The magazine I’m doing it for has requested the file as a TIFF/IT-P1. I’m not familiar with this. If I save my file as a .tiff will that suffice? Or is there a special plug-in I need to be able to save this type of file in photoshop? Thanks in advance to any tips.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 28, 2006
They are VERY different and no they will not suffice one for another.

No, Photoshop does not save Tiff/IT P1 files.

TIP? Tell the lazy pub to do the conversion themselves or buy a PDF workflow.
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2006
It’s a different format:

<http://www.prepressure.com/formats/tiffit/fileformat.htm>

If you don’t have the plug-in, see this:

<http://www.dmacs.org/tiffit.html>
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 28, 2006
"The history of TIFF/IT starts around 1989 when DDAP (the Digital Distribution of Advertising for Publications Committee) asked ANSI, which is the American National Standards Institute, to define a standard for the exchange of digital adverts."

Who are these Valley Girls? Do they work on "digital adverts" or do they work in the real world like the rest of us.

Sorry, a little venti there.

No reflection on you Ramón G Castañeda, You are a gem for posting all the great references and information you do here.
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2006
Funny you should call them "Valley Girls". They just sound like your regular run-of-the-mill Brits to me. :/
AR
alan_ruta
Jul 28, 2006
Does that plug-in work with os x/cs1 or cs2? Its form 1996. It didn’t load for me.

I would tend to doubt it could do more than open existing tiff-it file and re-export them. To actually create a CT and LW requires software that cost 4 or 5 figures.

alan
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 28, 2006
Having an art type create a Tiff/It PI is just stupid and will just blow up in their face. You have to know the device resolution to create the correct file.
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 28, 2006
""Funny you should call them "Valley Girls". They just sound like your regular run-of-the-mill Brits to me."

Ah, I was in error thinking that this article had been generated in the United States. We don’t generally call Advertisements ‘adverts’ here, so it sounded like a type of ‘slang’ of a different invention. If it is culturally invented and accepted in Britain, then it is a whole different story and well acceptable with that understanding. Are you in Britain Ramón?
R
Ram
Jul 28, 2006
We don’t generally call Advertisements ‘adverts’ here,

In the UK they don’t call them anything but "adverts". 🙂

Are you in Britain Ramón?

Good grief, no! I did visit the UK a few times during the 1960s, and I worked for a British company for some four years; but for a good thirty years I’ve been right here in Northern California.

I just found it hilarious you would think that was "Valley Girls" talk. 😀
KN
Ken_Nielsen
Jul 28, 2006
Leave it to Valley Girls to be cool.

I’m sure the Brits think we are strange for calling them advertisements. All a cultural thing.
RC
ricardo_cortes
Jul 28, 2006
Hey everyone.. thanks for the tips. Yeah.. it looks like it’s a bit too complicated for me to handle. I found a place that isn’t too expensive to convert my file.. if anyone runs into this situation, you might try: <http://www.adfixer.com>

Cheers!
I
inez
Jul 31, 2006
I’m glad you found a service provider, but you should pass that cost on to the publication. It’s rediculous for them to request that format of advertisers. These conversions should be part of their inhouse workflow.

Do many ad agencies deal with this file format for the multitude of publications they send ads to? The format just sounds like another wrench thrown in the works to muck things up.
AR
alan_ruta
Jul 31, 2006
Many publications and large printers (e.g. RRD) still prefer Tiff-it or ct/lw.

Its preferred because it is so stable. Everything is pretty much locked down. Fonts can’t change, it can only be cmyk. It is already rastered. Printers like that.

alan
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 31, 2006
I’m glad you found a service provider, but you should pass that cost on to the publication

Actually, you pass on the production costs to the client, not the publication.

Neil
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Jul 31, 2006
Many publications and large printers (e.g. RRD) still prefer Tiff-it or ct/lw. Its preferred because it is so stable. Everything is pretty much locked down. Fonts can’t change, it can only be cmyk. It is already rastered. Printers like that.

Printers also like it when they have to re-res your tiff-its because the ones you supplied don’t match the output resolution of the device. An if they don’t check your file creation, JUST LIKE PDFS, they are held responsible for YOUR mistakes when your job blows up.

Yea, printers like it all right.
AR
alan_ruta
Jul 31, 2006
I haven’t worked with one printer that doesn’t send out specs for CT and LW resolutions. If you send them a Tiff-it with a rez they didn’t ask for and a hairline drops out or shows up they will charge you for the extra press time.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections