M
Posted By
mozart11
Aug 1, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I bought my son a new MacBook (a gift and surprise for him) He was using Photoshop CS and I bought the upgrade to CS2.

He has many brushes on his old Mac. I want to transfer them to the new MacBook. I don’t know or use Photoshop so I’m in the dark here. I want to have it all set up for him.

Can some tell me how to find or transfer the brushes he has on the old Mac to the new Mac?

Thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 1, 2006
Brushes are .abr files. They are most likely in the Brushes folder in the Photoshop Presets folder, but not necessarily. They can exist anywhere. So do a Find on the system. You can transfer them via whatever media to the same folder in the new version on the new machine.

PS: I am hoping he has them Saved. Are they custom brushes that he has made or were they downloaded?
M
mozart11
Aug 1, 2006
Pretty sure they were downloaded. I checked his Downloads folder for .abr. They’re a lot of them in there. Thanks

He downloads to dedicated folder located in his main Documents folder. I do the backup so I’ve told him any files to be saved should be in Documents.

But the brushes do not have to be in the presets folder to work? Should an Alias of his brushes go in there? Are brushes easier to access from the presets folder?

Thanks so much for your help
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Aug 1, 2006
They do not have to be there, but you can load them more quickly if they are. They will appear in the flyout menu in the Brushs palette if they are in the Presets folder, so you don’t have to navigate to them. Not sure aliases would work.

Of course they should be backed up.
M
mozart11
Aug 2, 2006
Thanks so much Ed. I appreciate it. I’l set the presets folder asw part of the backup schedule.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections