M
Posted By
mbutler40968
Jan 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whenever I print a photo using Adobe Photoshop Elements it has an obvious grain to it. If I take a jpg photo, approximately 700 KB and print it with Photoshop, the resulting photo has an undesirable grain to it. If I take the same file and print it with Microsoft Photo Editor, it is a clear as a standard photograph. I use the same paper and the same resolution when printing, 300 dpi.
Any suggestions on how to sharpen up the print?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

NS
Nancy_S
Jan 28, 2004
mbutler,

Are you sure the resolution of the image to be printed thru PSE is 300ppi? To check, pull up the image and go to Image>Resize>Image Size and see what it lists for the resolution. Post back with that info. I’m wondering if what you are really seeing is pixelation…

Also, it is helpful to state your computer OS and other details when posting. If you outline your workflow in PSE, this would also be helpful, how you process your image.

Nancy
M
mbutler40968
Jan 28, 2004
Nancy,
Thanks for responding. I am new to PSE, so I download files from my Olympus camera to a subdirectory then, using PSE, pick the photo I want to print. My OS is XP Pro. When I checked the resolution as you suggested, I found the number 72 pixels/inch. If I type in 300 in the resolution box, my image becomes much larger on my computer screen and when I try to print it I have to reduce it to fit the width of my 8.5 x 11 print paper. Does reducing the image to fit the paper lower the pixel/inch count?
Finally, I am not sure what you mean when you ask if I am outlining my workflow in PSE. Thanks for taking time to help me out. I greatly appreciate it. Mike
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 28, 2004
mbutler,

The catch here is whether you have the box called "Resample" checked in the Image Resize area. You DO NOT want it checked
M
mbutler40968
Jan 28, 2004
Nancy,
The "resample" box was checked. I have unchecked it. Should I go back to my original jpg file and start over as far as cropping, etc.?
Thanks again for your help.
Mike
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 28, 2004
mbutler,

For your camera’s images at 72ppi the printout size would be very large and the quality very poor because they come out of the camera at 72ppi (much too low of a resolution for a good print).

I wrote something earlier to help someone else resize a photo for printing from their digital camera. Though the actual numbers will undoubtedly vary from your camera output, and perhaps you’d like to print at something other than 4×6, I think you can see the procedure and sustitute your values for the numbers in the following…BTW, as you increase resolution, the printed size goes down, they are inversely proportional.
—————-

Using your dimensions of 22×15" at 72 resolution from memory card, to resize to 4×6…

* make a duplicate of your image and close the original
* have the Layers Palette permanently visible on right side of workarea * double click the ‘background’ layer and accept offer to rename it Layer 0 * edit image as desired
* might be a good idea to save at this point
* with image still open…
* Go to Image Resize from Image on menu
* With Resample UNCHECKED, change only one variable, change the long side to 6" and let the other variables fill in
* image now 6 x 4.09" at 264 resolution
* Ok that
* when your dimensions are a little more than desired:
* get the rectangular marquee
* under Style, change to Fixed
* type in 4 and 6 respectively
* click on image, with cursor inside selection lines you can drag box around to include the portion which will comprise the image
* Image>Crop
* File>Save As>assign a name different than the original With my Epson this is how I print (I use Edit>Settings>No Color Mgmt)
* File>Print In Print Screen
* Source = Doc. Untagged RGB
* Print Space = Printer Color Management
* click on Setup On Page Setup Screen
* click on Properties On Properties Screen
Main Tab set to;
* media type>choose your printing paper
* mode>click radio button for Custom
* click Advanced On Advanced Screen
* print quality> photo 720 or photo 1440
* color mgnt>Color Controls
* Gamma>1.8
* UNcheck High Speed

I get very good results with this scheme. My monitor is calibrated with the Adobe Gamma Utility and the profile it created is loaded

Nancy
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 28, 2004
mbutler,

Oh, oh. I hope you were working on a copy! The first cardinal rule for editing images is to always save your original someplace save and never edit it. When wanting to print a file, or edit it using PSE, ALWAYS make a copy (duplicate) for this purpose. Treat your origianl files from the camera as though they were your negatives from a film camera.

If it was your original, open it in PSE, go to the Image Resize box again and change it back to the orignal numbers. In your case it seems you have upsampled, which is preferable to downsampling. This means you haven’t permanently throw pixels away, you have augmented the number with fictional pixels increasing the file size. So you should probably get rid of the extras. So, in this case, and this will almost always NOT apply to working with your images, this is just to fix up the mistake you have made, DO have the Resample box checked, change the value for ONE variable, change the length dimensions (expressed in pixels) to whatever is the normal number straight out of your camera.

In the future, remember to make a duplicate to work with in any capacity. You could also do a "Save As" when opening an image and choose from the drop down menu ".psd". Working with a file in this format perserves the quality and when you get to making adjustments (editing colors etc) this format perserves the layers which are created.

Nancy
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 28, 2004
mbutler,

If you need a little help with understanding relationships between pixel numbers, resolution and printing, an excellent site link follows. The intro should serve you well if needed.

<http://scantips.com>

Nancy

Post back when you have more questions. There are many knowledgable and friendly people around here and no question is "stupid" so don’t hesitate to ask.

Nancy
M
mbutler40968
Jan 28, 2004
Nancy,
Thanks for the instructions on printing and the heads up on working from a copy. I do work from copies only for the very reasons you suggest. Again, I appreciate your helpfulness. I will implement the suggestions you have made. I’ll try and report back to you at a later time as to the success I will have had.
Mike Butler
NS
Nancy_S
Jan 28, 2004
Mike,

Way to go…this program is a lot of fun and can help one achieve amazing results. You’re welcome, we’ll be looking for ya.

Nancy
J
jemalonzo
Jun 20, 2004
Here’s a related question, my photos look grainy and poor quality, I was testing my canon zr90( digital camcorder) to take some pictures. I wonder if there is a way to fix these photos in photoshop. I know this requires a lot of work, any help is appreciated.

As for taking pictures in digital camcorder is applying a brighter light source applicable( external flash)?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections