MA
Posted By
Manny_Akis
Aug 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ive been having problems with saving to jpeg’s. Say I have an 8meg file and want to save it in quality 6. The file should be less then a meg give or take. It saves it at around 3 plus megs. Ive tried to save tiff’s and the same thing. saves larger then the actual file size. Im running on a dual 2 with Tiger 10.4.7. Any clues? This has been driving me crazy. I had updated to 9.0.1 felt maybe that was the problem. I re installed CS2 (9) same thing.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

PF
Peter_Figen
Aug 5, 2006
The amount of compression you get is always dependent on the nature of your image, so while you may think that a file 3/8 the size of your original may seem large, if it’s a very complex image with a lot of detail and color variation, that may well be a reasonable result. If, on the other hand, you have a simple product photo surrounded by a large flat area of only one color, then you would expect a much larger compression. My guess is that you’re dealing with the former.
R
Ram
Aug 5, 2006
To verify and confirm what Peter says —and he’s 100% right of course— create a new file of the exact same pixel dimensions as the one you’re wondering about, fill it with a single solid color and save it as a JPEG. You’ll see the huge difference in file size savings.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections