L
Posted By
llmarketing
Aug 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to develope an advertisement that is 2 feet x 3 feet.

My computer is G5 1.6 GHz, 256MB, 80 GB.

I am working with this file from my desktop and the file is about 500 MB in size. I go to save it and it starts to and then photoshop closes.

Go to try to reopen it and it takes FOREVER……

Do I increase my memory, do I create the ad at 50% 300 resolution and hope the printer can blow it up in size without losing detail. HELP need some advise.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Aug 13, 2004
There is a double limit in Photoshop 7.0.1: files cannot exceed 30,000 pixels in any one direction (width x height), and they have to be under 2GB in size. If you reach any of those two conditions, you cannot save the file.

Additionally, you don’t have enough RAM. 256MB is downright pitiful, especially if you’re on OS X.

What resolution are you using for that image?
G
graffiti
Aug 13, 2004
Get more RAM.

256MB isn’t much especially when working on a 500MB file.
L
llmarketing
Aug 13, 2004
Resolution is 300…..

If I decrease the file in size by 50% (but keeping same preportion) at 300 resolution will the printer still be able to make it larger and will it still print fine?

How much memory should one have when running OSX.

Therefore, photoshop can’t handle large files????
R
Ram
Aug 13, 2004
How much memory should one have when running OSX.

The ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM your machine can take. (Unless you have a G5, in which case 3GB will do nicely. :))

Resolution is 300…..

Chances are you don’t need that high a resolution. Images that large are viewed at longer distances than small prints.

If I decrease the file in size by 50% (but keeping same preportion) at 300 resolution will the printer still be able to make it larger and will it still print fine?

It’s the same thing if you keep the size but decrease the resolution to 150ppi.

Therefore, photoshop can’t handle large files????

You need to upgrade. The limit in Photoshop 8 ("CS") is 300,000 pixels in any one direction. There is no file size limit.
J
jonf
Aug 13, 2004
Is the flattened image 500MB, or the layered PS file? If the latter, you might be able to save your flattened image at 300 ppi without a problem. To decrease the size of your layered file you might be able to selectively merge some of your layers to bring the file size down to something your system can manage.
R
Ram
Aug 13, 2004
Even so, running a G5 with only 256MB of RAM is counterintuitive.
J
jonf
Aug 13, 2004
No question. But if they need to save the file today maybe this would help.
L
llmarketing
Aug 13, 2004
I am working with a layered file and have flattened everything that I could.

I will need to get more RAM for the future, thanks for all the help.
R
Ram
Aug 13, 2004
And upgrade to Photoshop 8 (CS).
NK
Neil_Keller
Aug 13, 2004
When you buy additional RAM, figure on about 10x more than what you’ve got for the size images you are creating. And do not go the cheap route with generic RAM. Buy name-brand high-quality matched RAM spec’d SPECIFICALLY for your computer model. Otherwise, there is a pretty fair chance that it will come back and bite you at the worst possible time. This is Photoshop — a very taxing app for any computer — not a Word file you’re creating.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections