E
Posted By
earltheyak
Aug 23, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been running PS 7.01 on OSX Panther for years, always worked great. Now I’ve installed OSX 10.4.6 to find that Photoshop no longer can be opened, and in fact the PS icon has turned into a blank page. Illustrator 10 continues to work fine. Do PS 7.01 and Tiger not mix? Is there a patch?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Aug 23, 2006
PS 7.0.1 and OS X 10.4.whatever has worked perfectly for me.

If you’re talking about an alias icon in the Dock or elsewhere, ditch it, and go to your Photoshop.app in a Finder window and create a new alias.

If you’re talking about the actual Photoshop.app icon itself I think you may need to repair permissions and do a re-prebinding.

Onyx can do these things and more, and it’s free.
<http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html>

If that doesn’t work, completely remove Photoshop from your hard drive and reinstall the application from your disk, then update to 7.0.1.

Then repair permissions again.
BB
by_Buko
Aug 23, 2006
you need to add .app after photoshop
E
earltheyak
Aug 23, 2006
How do I do a re-prebinding?

I’ve downloaded Onyx, and I’ve reinstalled PS, repaired permissions, reset links between documents and applications, no change. The icon still remains blank and wants to open in ScriptEditor instead of as a program. Imageready is the same way.

If you’re talking about the actual Photoshop.app icon itself I think
you may need to repair permissions and do a re-prebinding.

If that doesn’t work, completely remove Photoshop from your hard drive
and reinstall the application from your disk, then update to 7.0.1.

Then repair permissions again.
P
Phosphor
Aug 23, 2006
Go to where you have Photoshop’s folder. Look at the file for the application itself. Is it named "Adobe Photoshop 7.0"? (My installation doesn’t have ".app" after the filename. Never has had the extension, as far as I can remember. I’ve never reinstalled Photoshop since I brought it over from my old OS 9.2.2 system.)

If not, rename it EXACTLY "Adobe Photoshop 7.0" (without the quotation marks). Do the same for "Adobe ImageReady 7.0".

If THAT doesn’t work, remove and reinstall from your application disk.
BB
by_Buko
Aug 23, 2006
Phos,

This problem just came up a few days ago .app fixed it.

You can’t re-prebind Tiger not with Cocktail anyway.
P
Phosphor
Aug 24, 2006
Hmm…upon cursory research, it seems that Onyx has had the Prebinding feature removed sometime while I was looking in another direction. Indeed, it appears that OS X now does it automatically in the background.

::Brain updated::
E
earltheyak
Aug 24, 2006
How does .app fix this? It’s named exactly "Adobe Photoshop 7.0" with no .app after it. Same with ImageReady. Renaming it Adobe Photoshop 7.0.app doesn’t appear to work either. I’ve reinstalled it a few times now…is there something different I should be doing while installing? I am doing "easy install". Help me computer wizards, you’re my only hope!
P
Phosphor
Aug 24, 2006
See if resetting Launch Services helps you.

<http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/resetlaunchservices.html>
BB
by_Buko
Aug 24, 2006
Adding .app after the application tells the system that its an application. If you go through the application folder you will notice that most of the apps have .app as an extension. does photoshop 7 not fire up when you double click?
P
Phosphor
Aug 24, 2006
I wonder what the deal is, then, with my system and files.

Many of my apps show the ".app" extension, and many don’t.

And I have my views set to ALWAYS show extensions.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 24, 2006
The old programs from the Photoshop 7 era don’t have the .app suffix on my machine but they do open from both the Dock and by double-clicking their icon.

Perhaps Control clicking on Photoshop 7’s icon; and choosing "Open Package" followed by a simple "Cmd i" on the Photoshop icon that you find inside the Package; and then using "Select New Original" is all that is necessary to fix this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections