Adobe Updater no longer detecting available updates?

SG
Posted By
stephen_grant
Mar 6, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Using CS. I am currently using the latest version of OSX on a MacPro desktop and Macbook Pro laptop. Has the Adobe Updater stopped working with the recent OSX update? It was working fine on my desktop not too long ago. But I just purchased a laptop and the Adobe Updater (whether launched from the standalone app or through Photoshop) does not seem to detect updates. It does the usual scanning of all programs and then concludes with the "no updates found" message. I had to manually download each update and install it. I can’t say for certain if the updater has ceased functioning on my desktop, as my software on the desktop is up to date.

I’ve tried this both wirelessly and plugged directly into Ethernet.

Any suggestions on things to check or troubleshoot, or are others have similar issues?

Thanks in advance

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Mar 6, 2009

1. CS is not supported in Leopard

2. there are no new updates we are on CS4 now.
SG
stephen_grant
Mar 6, 2009
Edit: I meant CS4.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2009
Interesting that you should experience that Stephen.

I am not on Leopard (I am using OSX 10.4.11) but I did install the latest Apple Security Updates like you did.

The CS4 Help menu/Updater has worked perfectly for me until a couple of days ago when it refused to find the the new ACR 5.3(21) update.

I assumed it might have been because I had previously installed the beta version ACR 5.3(16) — but maybe not?
SG
stephen_grant
Mar 6, 2009
Hi Ann

Hmm, maybe we are on to something and it is related to the latest OSX updates?

A couple weeks ago, I bought the laptop, installed CS4, and updates were detected just fine. Updates were being detected on my Mac Pro as well. I then had to return the laptop for a replacement, set up the new laptop and installed all the OSX updates, then installed CS4, went to grab all the CS4 updates with the updater and discovered it was not finding them. I decided to uninstall CS4 completely and reinstall, but no luck.

I guess I’ll need to pay attention and wait until Adobe releases a new update to see if my desktop is missing them as well. If both my desktop and laptop are not seeing the updates, then something is amiss.
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
The kindest thing one can say is that the Adobe updater, a.k.a. auto updater, Adobe Update Manager or AUM, is temperamental.

I’ve avoided it for years, because it’s often broken in one way or another.
NT
Nini Tj
Mar 6, 2009
Not all adobe updates are actually released via the Adobe Updater. That’s been the case on and off over the years. In those cases you either get it via manual download directly from adobe.com or via Versiontracker.com. There is also a known case (don’t remember in which version or OS-version) where the Adobe Updater simply loops and never finds a thing. It’s somewhere around in the adobe support pages. Personally I got the ACR 5.3 and DNG converter from VersionTracker.
SG
stephen_grant
Mar 6, 2009
It’s definitely temperamental. The updater wouldn’t find any updates at all, whereas it found a bunch of available updates after I did an install weeks ago on the previous laptop.

The only Mac OSX related update that would have come between the 2 laptops is the Feb. 12th Apple Security Update.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections