AR
Posted By
alain_ranger
Feb 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I was using PS 5.0 LE and got confortable with the mask feature, now I don’t seem to get it in PE 2.0.

In PS5, I had, in the layers palette after masking, two thumbnails, the rightmost being the mask (black hides and white reveals)and the left one being the image to partially mask. Between the two was a chain link, and there was a mask icon at the very left (before the eye icon) or a pen, to work on the mask or the image.

If I open a file created in PS 5.0 LE in PE 2.0, I see the samething in the layers palette, however I can’t duplicate it, (ie make another one) What is the trick?? Please help??

Alain

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 1, 2004
Alain, in the Toolbox for PSE2, you’ll find the Selection Brush (third tool down in the left column. It performs a similar function to the masking tool you’re accustomed to in LE.

Chuck
AR
alain_ranger
Feb 1, 2004
Thanks Chuck,

I see that, but can I hide the "red" overlay (mask) to reveal the layer underneath? I want to only keep the unmasked portion over the background.

Alain
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 1, 2004
Alain,

Here’s a way to get the affect using two layers:

– Create a Solid Color adjustment layer below the layer you wish to mask. It does not matter what color you use.

– Group the new color layer with the image layer above.

– On the color layer, click the right-hand layer mask icon — note that the image window title bar now indicates you are editing the layer mask.

– Paint in black or grey or white to mask or reveal as desired.

If you prefer to see the mask as you work on it, you can ALT-click on the layer mask icon to see the black/white mask in your image window. Another ALT-click restores the image view.

Of course, you could always download one of the free add-ins for PSE which gives you the ability to add a REAL layer mask… Richard Lynch’s Hidden Power Actions are one set of free tools which include that ability. You can find them at www.hiddenelements.com/freetools.html Note that Richard also has a commercial product, and you will see references to it at the same site.

HTH,

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 1, 2004
Alain, you can toggle the Selection brush between Mask and Select on its toolbar; will that give you what you’re looking for?

Chuck
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 2, 2004
Excellent advice, Greg!!! 😉
GW
greg_wallis
Feb 2, 2004
without using add ons the easiest way to mask is to create a new adjustment layer…..dont change any levels…just click ok.The layer you want to mask should be above this in the pallete. Then group these 2 layers……you can then use the brush to paint in black, white or varying opacities to get what you want. Remembert to paint on the levels layer.

cheers

greg

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections