WE
Posted By
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please will you let me know what you use to unzip .zip files when using OSX.

I have been using Stuffit but have had problems unzipping one particular .zip file using Stuffit so really need to try another one on it.

Help

Wendy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

KW
Kyle_White
Feb 4, 2004
Hi Wendy,

I don’t know how comfortable you are with the command line, but there is a version of the GNU utilities "zip" and "unzip" available in OS X.

I’d put the ZIP file on the Desktop, then open a Terminal, change directory to the Desktop and issue the command unzip <filename>.
If the filename has spaces in it then put the file name in quotes. (i.e.: unzip "<filename>")

Although, I suspect that if Stuffit can’t handle it, it may be corrupt and even the command line tools may not do the job.

HTH

Kyle
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 4, 2004
Hi Kyle,

I haven’t any experience of using the command line at all … so will hang on and see is anyone has any other unzip programmes. Stuffit unzips the file OK but the contents of the file then don’t work.

Its been suggested that I try another unzip utility … but I’m having problems locating one that works with OSX.

I do know that Susan S and quite a few others use OSX so I am hoping that one of them uses something other than Stuffit.

Fingers crossed
Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 4, 2004
Wendy if you go to versiontracker.com you will find several alternatives, like maczip, that you can try. Have you checked to see if you have the latest version of stuffit?

If you are talking about the Shipley downloads, you need either maczip or maczipit (don’t remember which) to unstuff them before they will work properly. I think it says on the website.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 4, 2004
Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the info, it is not the Shipley download but the download I am looking at seems to be having the similar problems… I have been over to the other forum and maczipit has been suggested.

Just trying it out at the moments but having no luck at all so far.

will let you know if I get there in the end!

Wendy
LM
Lou_M
Feb 5, 2004
Wendy,

Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) has a built-in unzip utility in the Finder. Not sure if that would work or not. And that by itself isn’t much of a reason to upgrade.

Yeah, the command line Terminal can be pretty scary, but unzipping is pretty simple. As Kyle said, just open Terminal and type

cd Desktop

and then type

unzip MyFile.zip

(replacing MyFile.zip with the name of your file). You can’t do any damage with the unzip command, so it’s pretty safe. Good luck!

Lou.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 6, 2004
Hi Lou,

Thanks for the info on how to use terminal … I have put it in my info file and will try it out. I did manage to get the problem file unzipped by using Zipit and eventually (Thanks to Susan) got it working.

Regarding 10.3 … well we have just ordered an ibook so six to ten days time I will be back asking lots of questions!!!! Can’t wait for it to arrive .. I really want it so that we can take it with us when we go on holiday. After a few days away I get Elements withdrawal symptoms 🙂

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 6, 2004
Wendy, which ibook did you get?
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 6, 2004
Hi Barbara,

The G4 14" 933MHz but with 60GB instead of 40GB and 384SDRAM. We are going away early March so it will get its first trip away from home then 🙂

Wendy
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 6, 2004
Ooh, I’m jealous, Wendy. That’s a nice little computer.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Feb 6, 2004
<drool emoticon>

Joe
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 6, 2004
Just got an email from Apple to say that it is on its way 🙂

Will keep you updated!!

Wendy
LM
Lou_M
Feb 7, 2004
Congratulations, Wendy! You’ll be very happy with it.

Lou.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections