Posted By
George_Levasseur
Feb 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please help!
I hope this is the proper place to post this question.

I have a GIF file that I want to gradually fade to transparent on the bottom half of the picture so that the background color on a different layer gradually reveals itself. How is this done in Photoshop Elements. I have tried using the gradient tool but all it seems to want to do is use the foreground color.

I have been working on this for 2 days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

George

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 6, 2004
Probably do about what you are doing, except first:
– change mode to RGB
– double click background layer in layer palette to change to a layer. Depending on PS version, create Layer Mask, make your gradient black and white. Now is should fade to transparent rather than a color.

Mac
GL
George_Levasseur
Feb 7, 2004
Mac, thanks for responding.

I am still not sure what I should do. I did "change mode to RGB" via Image, Mode, RGB Color. So, now I see my picture in a window with a checkerboard background. I understand the checkerboard background to represent a transparent background. Is this correct?

I don’t understand what you are telling me to do with the layer palette. My layer palette contains a single layer called ‘layer 1’. When I double click on it, it pops up a Layer Properties dialog with a single Name: field on it. Should there be a ‘background layre’? I’m using Photoshop Elements.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 7, 2004
Sounds like you’ve already done it.
Yes, checkerboard means "transparant", which is only possible on layers, not on a background image.
No, you don’t need a background image layer.

You can now Save for Web as GIF, include transparent option. That was what you were after, right?

Mac
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 7, 2004
Gee whiz factoid: If you create a new document as transparent, there is no background layer.
GL
George_Levasseur
Feb 7, 2004
Nope. I don’t know how to do this.

Mac, can I send you a sample psd file that illustrates what I want to do? I have looked at this sample from every angle and still can’t figure out how it was done. Maybe you could explain it to me if you see first hand what I am so badly describing to you.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Feb 7, 2004
Perhaps someone else can walk you through this, I’m no expert and I guess I can’t seem to describe it correctly.

If you have an existing image, like the GIF you mentioned, it is on a single background layer.
First of all, GIF is indexed color, so must be changed to RGB to support layers. Then in layer palette, double click the background layer to make it a true layer.

Then add layer mask, make your forground/background colors black/white and drag a gradient. Black is opaque, white is transparent. That’s basically it. Then you save back as GIF, with transparency support.

There are other ways to do this, but this is simplest way I know. If this doesn’t seem to work for you, then a better teacher will prolly chime in.

Mac

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections