BD
Posted By
Bruce_Denis
Feb 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I scan an image PSE offers to save with color Adobe RGB 1998. Saving image from my camera offers to save with color sRGB IECblahblahblah. I am allowed only a checkbox for yes/no response.

What are these? Are they good choices? Should I uncheck the box? Generally, I like to keep one virgin file with an untouched image for everything. Should I check or uncheck that box with this goal in mind?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy_S
Feb 7, 2004
Bruce,

Those are color management choices. (Edit>Color Settings) You can run full color management (Adobe RGB), limited CM (sRGB) or no color management. The CM in PSE is somewhat limited however.

Some people use CM, some don’t, such as myself. I get a great match between what I see on my monitor and what my printer produces. BUT,
if you have a CRT monitor, it is vital to use the Adobe Gamma Utility in the Control Panel (for Windows anyway) to calibrate your monitor. This is the first step in obtaining color continuity throughout one’s workflow.

Saving a pristine image file and working on a copy is the way to go. You could use your browser to copy your images to another folder, ones that are for editing (using a right click copy/paste thing to avoid changing your files in anyway for safe keeping).

Experiment with different settings, see which works best for you and your goals. Do you want to print or just produce for web applications?

I tell PSE to discard the sRGB profile when openning an image from my camera, my personal choice. I save my images as "Untagged", meaning neither a sRGB or Adobe RGB profile is embedded in the image. But decide which way you want to go with CM and be consistent.

Nancy
J
jhjl1
Feb 7, 2004
Nancy wrote: But decide which way you want to go with CM and be consistent.

James replies: Great advice Nancy, I spent all day yesterday batch converting thousands of images to Adobe RGB. Finally, for once all images on my PC are in the same color space.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections