N
Posted By
nytrashman7618
Feb 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have seen several photos like what i am about to describe but i am not sure how it was done. lets say you have a photo of a child eating jello. the entire photo is in B&W except for the jello that is on the spoon, which is in color. the spoon itself is also in B & W. maybe all the cold weather we have been having here in the NE has frozen my brain but for the life of me i can not figure out how this was done. sorry i do not have an example i can post.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 9, 2004
the way i would do it is to apply a hue/saturation adjustment layer…and desaturate the image completely. This adjustment layer acts as a layer mask above your image. Painting black on the adjustment layer will remove the mask. When you paint black where the jello is you’ll see the color reappear.
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 9, 2004
Easy. All you do is open your black and white photo (or convert a color one to grayscale…you’ll have to reconvert back to color mode afterward the color is gone). Next go to layers palette, select Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, click the box that is labeled colorize, then use the sliders to find your color. Click okay. Now hit control I (invert). Your mask should now have turned black and the image should have turned back to back b and w. Next stage is to use your paint brush and paint using the default b and w. You will be painting with the adjustment layer active…not the photo thumbnail. White to add color, black to erase any mistakes. If you want a second or more colors, just do the same steps as given above for each of the colors. Remember each color will be on it’s own adjustment layer.

Terri
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 9, 2004
Jodi- We must have seen this one at the same time!
N
nytrashman7618
Feb 9, 2004
thank you very much. now that my brain has defrosted what i did was before removing the color from the photo i masked the part i wanted to keep "colorized". seemed to work ok, if your interested here is the link to what i did.
<http://www.pbase.com/image/25916304>
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 9, 2004
George,

What a beautiful portrait… the only thing missing is the smell of puppy-breath!!

Byron
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 9, 2004
He’s adorale.
JH
Joe_Henry1000
Feb 9, 2004
Gorgeous dog George! Nice portrait too. 😉

the only thing missing is the smell of puppy-breath!!

Ah the sweet, sweet smell of partially digested puppy chow. 🙂

Joe
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 9, 2004
what a cutie !
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 10, 2004
George, did you remove the picture? I’m getting an error message when I try to view it.

Bad Image Reference
The Image ID specified in the URL does not exist. It was probably deleted, but verify the URL
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 10, 2004
Re the removing color step: I use a Gradient Map Adjustment Layer instead of a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer. Then I can play with the gradient and the stops and create some increased contrast and/or special effects. My thanks to Susan Stewart for introducing me to the Gradient Map!

Chuck
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 10, 2004
I’m getting the same message Chuck is. Am I missing a picture of a puppy?!

By the way, "Louie" lives with us now, but he’s not a puppy. We adopted him from a rescue group on Saturday. He’s a real sweetie (who’s housebroken!), but his personality is totally different from that of Isaac. Like the loss of a child, you don’t go out and find a true replacement. This guy is fun, though, and the only member of the family with a desire to maintain his trim waistline.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 10, 2004
Hey, Beth, that’s great! What kind of dog is he?
TB
Terry Boyles
Feb 10, 2004
I’ happy for you Beth. Nothing like haveing a new pet to chase away the blues.

Terry
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 10, 2004
Louie…what a lucky dog you are to be taken in by dear Beth!
SR
Schraven_Robert
Feb 10, 2004
George,

What I would do in this case is:
copy the original image in a separate layer, then turn the copy into black and white and use erasure on the black and white image over the area you want coloured. That way every thing except the erased bit will be black and white.

Robert
N
nytrashman7618
Feb 10, 2004
I did remove the image as i really didn’t like that much. i replaced it with this one. <http://www.pbase.com/image/25931634>
R
ruizpaul
Feb 10, 2004
This is what I did:
1. Selected the area to remain colored. (I used magnetic lasso.)
2. Selected Inverse (Shift+Control+I)
3. Removed color from Inverse selected area (Shift+Control+U)
4. Deselect (Control+D)

Paul
R
ruizpaul
Feb 10, 2004
It’s probably advisable to do this on a duplicate background layer. Then you can further edit the work.

Paul
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 10, 2004
yup, that’s what so great about this software. there are so many ways to achieve similar results. Some say tomAto and some say tomato…it’s all still good 😉
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 10, 2004
The puppy is adorable, and so is the other dog! But I guess by now you guys have figured out how to get my attention. 🙂
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Feb 10, 2004
So, Beth, when are you going to post some Louie pics?
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 10, 2004
George,

IMHO, the original puppy portrait you posted was superb.

I do not mean to detract from the current photo, with both the dog and the pup, which is also a fine image… but there was just so much concentrated puppiness in the first one, that it’s my favorite — even though I only have a memory of it.

I hope you’ll change your opinion about the first picture, and add it back to your online gallery.

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 10, 2004
Yes, George, get that puppy picture back up there! I don’t care about the "artistic quality", I just wanna see the puppy!

I guess, Barbara, I’ll have to wait a while before I post Louie’s picture. There’s no way his little Heinz 57 face could compete with that of a puppy. 🙂 Louie is one of those "you gotta know him to love him" types, whereas I’ve never met a puppy that wasn’t adorable. (And boy it sure was hard to pass up each puppy I saw.)
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 10, 2004
when i went to the pound there were lots of cute kittens…they get adopted easily. The older ones are the ones that need special attention. I gave 2 twin black 9 month old cats a new home instead of bringing home a kitten. I feel great about that.
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 10, 2004
And, may I remind you, we’ve yet to see a picture of those kitties.
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 10, 2004
wrote in
…There’s no way his little Heinz 57 face could compete with that of a
puppy. :)…

Beth,

One of my long-held opinions is that "beauty-challenged" (heh!) dogs make some of the best pets, because they have to rely so heavily on personality… I love mutts!!

Byron
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 10, 2004
You’d love Louie! We don’t have a clue what kind of dog he is. We call him a "golden retriever", not because he’s likely to have any of the real GR in him – although he might – but rather because he’s a golden color and will retrieve anything you throw. I just came in from outside (where it’s a toasty 33) after finally wearing him out chasing his tennis ball. So much for the sedentary lifestyle around this place. 🙂
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 10, 2004
Oh Beth,

He sounds a real charmer … and it looks like he is going to keep you slim!! 🙂

Wendy
N
nytrashman7618
Feb 10, 2004
ok…….you talked me into it. here is the original pic i posted yesterday. thanks for all the advice, i really like removing some of the color from a photo to highlight the subject. i’ll have to work on it some more to perfect it but i am please with my results so far. BTW the pup is named "Hershey" (chocolate lab) and the older dog is a Golden Retriver named "Goldie". the golden belongs to me and the lab is my step daughters. she just got her and this was the first meeting of the dogs.i think they are going to become good friends.

<http://www.pbase.com/image/25943158>
PD
Pete_D
Feb 10, 2004
You made me smile Beth. Quite a few years ago my son tried and tried to get his new "mutt" (golden retriever and collie mix) to retrieve ….. anything 🙂 He would throw a stick, wait, and then yell at the dog before stomping to the end of the yard and get it himself.

The dog stayed with us for 14 years though and was great to have around even if he could not fetch.

Pete
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 10, 2004
George,

Thank you for letting us see her, again!!

In my book, this is one of the all-time great puppy pictures.

Byron
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 11, 2004
George, I agree with Byron – great shot! You could go into the puppy portrait business if you can turn ’em out like that!!
🙂
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 11, 2004
Thank you, George! I even downloaded that sweet little puppy picture so I can enjoy it after you take it off pBase! 🙂
KR
Kim_Rickert
Feb 11, 2004
I have to vote for the puppy by himself too. Absolutely adorable!!! I’m down to one kitty from three adopted strays and the last one is 16 and developing problems now. Looks like we’ll likely be in the "new pet" market soon here. So hard to let them go after so many years.
TB
Terry Boyles
Feb 11, 2004
George,
I LOVE THAT PUPPY PIC!! I have three dogs at and take alot of shots of them, but nothing as adorable as that.

Terry
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 11, 2004
And its a really nice shot – I’ve found it really hard to get a well exposed photograph of a dark brown dog – my brother in law has the maddest and cutest labradoodle (standard poodle labrador cross – looks like a dark brown sheep) and I did not get a single decent shot of it in its puppyhood.

I am a frustrated non-dog owner. (I’d like one, my husband is a cats only person….)

Susan S.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections