Posted By
Brad_Messer
Sep 9, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A solution that worked for me.

Click to launch Photoshop and IMMEDIATELY hold down alt+command_shift and Photoshop 7 launched without freezing. I could then go to Photoshop menu > Preferences > Adobe online and set the Check for Updates option to Never.

Nothing on the Adobe support or forum threads worked, by the way, because when I reset System Preferences > Date and Time to the year 2001, and got Photoshop 7 to start (iBook G4 OS 10.4.7, and G4 tower same OS) and hit the Help drop menu to get to "Updates…" to try to reset to NEVER check for updates, clicking on Updates would put me right back into the closed loop where it would try to download the update files (AWEXfiles.txt and AWEDBFiles4.awe) and would freeze. There’s also advice on the net that says delete the two AW… files before launching, but that didn’t work either. The above solution worked on both machines.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Sep 9, 2006
Changing the clock on your computer is not a good way to solve this problem. If you could not get the solution in the FAQs to work you did not follow the directions to the letter. Posting bad methods to fix this issue will do more harm that good.

Do not follow Brad Messer’s advice.
RR
Reed_Reed
Sep 9, 2006
Lucy and Brad,

The problem has happened to lots of people and has been discussed many times.

Here’s the link to the solution:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bb82206>

Unfortunately, some folks here find it necessary to scold people who ask for help. Apparently the fact that this is an often requested fix and is listed in the "Faq" on the Welcome Page is reason for some to become enraged at each repeat question and spend more time complaining that people should "read" and search the forum before asking questions than it would take to simply give the help requested. I guess they have their demons.

Why such angry people just don’t ignore the question is beyond me. But they’ve just got to let you know how stupid they think you are. They apparently feel the need to defend the forum in some way as though the new questioner has violated some rule and just wasn’t paying attention in class.

I know how frustrating it can be to have problems happen and hope that someone will answer with help. Searching through an online forum is the last thing I want to do when, in frustration I’ve gotten to the point of logging on because I’ve run out of answers myself.

Good luck, your question was certainly asked as politely as needed, and Brad’s answer was as well intended as any.
R
Ram
Sep 10, 2006
the fact that this is an often requested fix

The bug is triggered by difficulties at the Adobe server, therefore these questions come in waves.

There have been several posts about this already in the last few days. There will be more. 🙁

Even if people overlook the FAQs (which is not a very prudent or efficient way to go about solving a problem in the first place), they still have the recent threads and the red type on the very same page where the OP started this thread.
B
Buko
Sep 10, 2006
Brad’s answer was as well intended as any.

the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

You just can’t let bad advice go without it being pointed out.
RM
Rick_M_Moore
Jan 9, 2007
I totally agree with Reed Reed.
Sometimes it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack especially if you’re not a technical person and your error messages are like foreign languages. Please give us ‘stupid’ people a bit of a break.
btw, a big thanks to Reed Reed for the link that solved my problem and to all those who made it known.. 😉
B
Buko
Jan 9, 2007
Sometimes it can be like looking for a needle in a haystack especially if you’re not a technical person and your error messages are like foreign languages.

well you did find this thread. and I’m sure it took longer than going to the FAQs and reading the first FAQ, which was the link supplied by Reed Reed.
H
halley
Jan 14, 2007
In such a badly designed forum it is very difficult to read every post that has been made before asking a question.

I spent two hours on this site poking around for help before posting my question and then came back several hours later to find that there were already answers here for me which I somehow hit upon stright away. I will go and try them now.

I hope the angry people have a better week next week . . .

BY the way the suggestion in the FAQ which I did look at first did not work for me.
H
halley
Jan 14, 2007
OK I’ve tried the ‘approved’ solution and it doesn’t work on my machine.

I guess that Adobe had my money so long ago that they don’t care what happens now and can’t quite bring themselves to address the problem which I now see is pretty common. A range of solutions which work for some people and not for others? What exactly does that tell me?
B
Buko
Jan 15, 2007
BY the way the suggestion in the FAQ which I did look at first did not work for me.

then you did not do it correctly.

since nobody can read your mind more info would help us help you.
H
halley
Jan 15, 2007
Buko – you solved my problem on another thread. (All hail.) But none of the FAQ suggestions worked.
And it is VERY difficult finding your way around this forum.

I would suggest anyone still struggling try it if their problem is exactly the same as mine: <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7@@.3bc2d9ae/0>
R
Ram
Jan 15, 2007
Halley,

If, instead of typing an angry rant in post #9, you had provided this key information from the start, as you did in the other thread:

It seems to fall over just after the ‘building twain menu’ bit.

I have no doubt that Buko or any of us would have been able to give you the solution right away.
H
halley
Jan 16, 2007
Thank god for people like you and Buko.

I feel I am entitled to rant at a company when their software suddenly stops working without explanation. I didn’t change anything – I presume the problem arose because I am now on broadband and the program decided to improve itself via the website. Previously when I was on dial up this didn’t happen because I wouldn’t have Photoshop open when I was on the internet. We all make mistakes. But this forum suggests that there are a lot of people having a problem with this updating – so why don’t Adobe address it? How am we supposed to know that we shouldn’t allow the program to try to update and that it will lead to problems – I only knew this after I had the problem and came here!

I did ‘the right thing’ and tried everything that I could find suggested on this site before I posted. This took some considerable time. And all of it turned out to be completely unneccessary as Buko was able to help so quickly when I described the problem. Even when I posted I was scared I was gonna get a bollocking. Looks like I got it anyway!!!

The main thing though is thanks for helping and please be patient with those of us who are not experts.
R
Ram
Jan 16, 2007
Halley,

I feel I am entitled to rant at a company

Well, you are not. Not here. You are NOT addressing Adobe here in these user to user forums. All you are doing is irritating the heck out of your fellow users who are trying to help.

To contact Adobe, use the Contact button at the top of this page.
B
Buko
Jan 16, 2007
I feel I am entitled to rant at a company when their software suddenly stops working without explanation.

Agreed. but we are not the company who made the software. We are other users hence the name User to User Forums. If you must rant at Adobe call Tech support and pay your $39.

And all of it turned out to be completely unneccessary as Buko was able to help so quickly when I described the problem.

This is why you need to describe the problem first.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections