BH
Posted By
Brian_H._Brown
Feb 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My question is this…I have been viewing photographs on photo.net and noticed that many of the photos have what appear to be a colored frame around them. Often there is a signature or copyright that appears in this area. I can’t find any reference in the APE2 User’s Guide as to how to produce such a thing. The frames aren’t simply black outlines, but appear as real picture matting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Brian

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 11, 2004
Hi Brian, If you have the Book "50 Fast Digital Photo Techniques" by Gregory Georges Go to chapter 45 and 46 this will give you one matte and frame method. This is one of many methods.

I will be back this afternoon, Oh here is a quick and easy way, First choose your color with the Color picker, pick a foreground color that looks good with the picture you are using.
Then go over to the Window menu, Come down to Effects, and select Frames in the little drop down menu right under Effects.
Then click on one of the frames, and hit Apply. This is automatic. For example I used a small frame of the color I picked, and then added a Brushed Aluminum around it.
This is a start.
I forgot this, Edit, You can add frame around frame too using these, just say yes to "Flatten Layers". Play around with them to see what you like.
Jane
GW
greg_wallis
Feb 11, 2004
GDay Brian

If you want a very plain ´frame´´ then go to image > resize > canvas….this way you can put a nice white border or whatever colour around your photo and you can sign the corner if you like. You can add plenty of new canvas around the edge and then crop it to look good with the crop tool.
BH
Brian_H._Brown
Feb 11, 2004
Thanks for the help! I’m just getting started with photoshop and digital editing and the sheer vastness of the information is sometimes overwhelming. Thanks again.
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 11, 2004
Brian: Here’s a tip that I stumbled upon by accident. Go to the exchange and download either Jacx styles Lace or Jackz style zone 1. Okay we’re actually not after the styles but the path that is included in the zipped file. There will be a picture with a border around it that says "My A1 paths". That’s what we are after. Yes, I know you can’t do paths in Elements but apparently you can use one. So open this picture up along with your to be framed photo. With the A1 picture active just pick a style. Magic there it is perfect, clear and crisp. All you now have to do is drag your frame onto your photo and resize. It will be much fancier than just a plain colored border.

Terri
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 11, 2004
Brian, Another option would be to create a clipping group. The frame effects and regular styles won’t work so you’ll have to look at the exchange or buy a CD with some prefab frame styles. At any rate, unlock your photo and put a transparent layer under it. Click on a prefabricated frame then select a custom shape and drag it into the transparent layer. Position the shape by using move tool and transform tool. You’ll see an outline where the frames border will be on the photo but to move and transform I think you have to turn the photo’s eye off. You will also want to layer<scale effects at this point to thicken your frame to taste. Now all you do is activate the photo that is over the shape layer and hit control G. You should now have your photo framed in an oval or whatever shape you picked out.

Terri
DF
David_Fortune
Feb 11, 2004
Brian,

There is a tutorial on creating a frame at the following URL:

<http://myjanee.home.insightbb.com/tutorials.htm>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections