LT
Posted By
Lori_Timpe-Long
Aug 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How can I made a border around the edge of an entire photo. Are there various options of borders that I can use? Thanks for helping.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BG
Byron Gale
Aug 3, 2004
Lori,

Have you tried the frames available in the Effects palette?

Byron
DG
David G House
Aug 3, 2004
..another way is to go IMAGE>RESIZE>CANVAS then in the box that opens up.. make sure its changed to inches then add one inch to both the Height and Width…. this will make a Transparent border around your image.. then use the Majic wand to slelect (you may have to INVERSE the selection to have just the border you created) then use the paint bucket to fill or go Edit>Fill and add a pattern or colour… or go WINDOWS>LAYER STYLES and in the drop down make choices of different stuff (GLASS etc etc) you will also find the drop shadow and stuff in there…

David
LT
Lori_Timpe-Long
Aug 3, 2004
Byron,
I am a new user of this program so excuse me if I sound a little clueless. I looked at your suggestion and found one frame that I can use. However, I am specifically trying to figure out how to put what some photographer’s call a sloppy border. This being kind of a thick wavy black border. That almost looks like it was painted on with a brush. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lori
LT
Lori_Timpe-Long
Aug 3, 2004
David,
This is my first time using this forum but I’m assuming you see my reply to Byron. I tried your suggestion as well and still cannot figure out how to make my sloppy black border. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Lori
JF
Jodi_Frye
Aug 3, 2004
Lori, create a new layer above your image and grab the paint brush tool…look through the various brush options in the drop down list of brushes and choose something….then on the new layer above your image you can try to get the effect you want by painting around the edges. Use the eraser if ya paint too much. That is just one ‘non destructive’ way to try to get the effect you want. Don’t forget to try out some of the brush stroke filters ( or any of the other um~teen filters available)on the new edge layer after you paint.
BG
Byron Gale
Aug 4, 2004
Hi, Lori.

The frames included with the program are very limited… however, you’ve gotten some great advice from Jodi as to how you can make your own.

Building on Jodi’s suggestion – if there’s a time you don’t want your border to be black, you can use the eyedropper tool to pick up a color from within your image, and then paint the frame with that color. For me, it’s interesting to see how a small detail can be made to jump out of the image by using its color in the frame.

Good luck, and welcome!

Byron
F
forestcarlisle
Jan 3, 2005
The best thing I have found for sloppy bodrders is Nitorix BorderIT. (www.nitorix.com)
I use Photoshop CS. I’m not sure if it works in Elements.

It does true full frame sloppy borders on any size image. It will also batch process an entire folder of images.

I found these scripts through the www.opensourcephoto.net forum. Which by the way is a great community of photographers.

forest
PD
postman delivers
Jan 5, 2005
—– Original Message —–
Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 11:29 PM
Subject: Re: Your action will it run in Elements 2 and 3?

I just checked out Photoshop Elements. As I suspected it does not have support for actions or scripts. Photoshop Elements is a consumer product and as a result doesn’t have the advanced feature of the CS product.

I will be looking more into writing addons for Elements in the future.

Thank you for your inquiry.

nitorix

wrote in message
The best thing I have found for sloppy bodrders is Nitorix BorderIT. (www.nitorix.com)
It does true full frame sloppy borders on any size image. It will also batch process an entire folder of images.

I found these scripts through the www.opensourcephoto.net forum. Which by the way is a great community of photographers.

forest
W
Will
Jan 12, 2005
Does Extensis Photframe work with Elements? Extensis says 1&2 are OK, but not work with PSE3. Any experience out there?

TIA!

Will

"The members of the Golden Brigade Chapter of the 82nd Airborne Division Association all served with the 82nd Airborne in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969. They were victorious in their every battle and wish to honor the 223 fellow troopers that will remain "Forever Young". Please visit their official website at www.goldenbrigade.org to learn more of their history".

wrote in message

forest

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections