DA
Posted By
Douglas_A_Johnson
Feb 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I keep getting a Adobe Photoshop Elements error message "An unexpected error occurred while communicating with online service. Please try again." I have been trying for about a week… I think something is wrong

Product Elements 2.0
Windows XP Pro
Microsoft IE version 6.0.28

Is there a directed access to the site?

Thanks

Doug

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

J
JRS
Feb 12, 2004
Their servers are hopelessly unreliable.

Jon

wrote in message
I keep getting a Adobe Photoshop Elements error message "An unexpected
error occurred while communicating with online service. Please try again." I have been trying for about a week… I think something is wrong
Product Elements 2.0
Windows XP Pro
Microsoft IE version 6.0.28

Is there a directed access to the site?

Thanks

Doug
B
BobHill
Feb 12, 2004
Doug,

Are you perhaps using AOL? Apparently the OnLine link isn’t working for you. How about going to Edit/Preferences/Adobe Online and click NEVER. No more message. There are no updates to download, in any case.

Bob
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 12, 2004
Well, he said he was trying to download Recipes, not updates, and I get the same message when I try it from both IE and Netscape. It’s more likely a problem on the Adobe end, because I’ve done it before, but I can’t today.
BG
Byron Gale
Feb 12, 2004
I don’t think that your web browser is involved in downloading recipes…

A few weeks ago, I reloaded PSE and went to download recipes. For several days, I encountered the same error which Douglas is reporting. Then one day, out of the blue, it connected and the download succeeded.

Coincidentally, I happened to try it, yesterday, and I connected OK, although there were no additional new recipes to download. Right now, though, I am getting the error.
R
RobertDeans
Feb 13, 2004
Same problem here.

Not using AOL, virus software and firewall disabled, internet security set at its lowest setting.

Tried different days of the week / times of the day.

IE 6.0.2800.1106

XPSP2.030618-0119
SL
Sean_Lloyd
Feb 13, 2004
I have never gotten this to work either….
BW
Bruce_Whitt
Feb 14, 2004
"Adobe Photoshop Elements ! An unexpected error occurred while communicating with the Online Service. Please try again." error when trying to download additional recipes.

I am not using AOL, and have tweaked a number of things to try and get it working with no success. I have used it before, but cannot now – leaving me to believe that it might be a problem on Adobe’s end.

A little help, please?
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 14, 2004
Bruce, I’m at the same place you are. I noticed the Search feature of the forum was down again yesterday, too, so I’m pretty sure this problem is on the Adobe end. If they don’t want us on their site, there isn’t much in the way of a workaround!

What do you need/want to do? If you post a description on the forum, we’re probably better than any old recipe anyway. πŸ™‚
B
BobHill
Feb 14, 2004
I just went into Recipe Downloads and it came up just fine. Although there are/were no additional recipes to download (for me, anyway). Here is the list I see there: Brush a vignette, Change an objects color, Patterned background for WEB, Rubber stamp, Create WEB animation, Fix JPEG artifacts, Print multiples on same page.

Bob
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 14, 2004
You’re right, Bob. It worked for me this time, too, although I didn’t want/need any of them, either.
B
BobHill
Feb 14, 2004
The various servers have been known to go "down" upon occasion. I suspect this may have been one of those times.

Bob
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 14, 2004
I think it really depends on when you try. Assuming most everyone uses weekends to catch up on computer stuff…it probably isn’t the best time to try. For a dial-upper such as myself i do better early on a Monday morning. Gosh, even my first attempt at the microsoft security patch a few weeks ago got screwed up. Was finally able to get through the lllloooonnnnnggggg process a week later””late at night.

Beth is right…nothing in there we can’t help anyone with.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 14, 2004
OK Bob, both our posts have the same time posted…but you are on top of me…Adobe priviledges ?? πŸ™‚
B
BobHill
Feb 14, 2004
Just seconds ahead with the click is my guess, Jodi<g>.

Bob
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 14, 2004
Oh, pretty much the story of my life…always 2 clicks too late πŸ˜‰

but that’s OK, it always works out for the better.
B
BobHill
Feb 14, 2004
<g>
J
jhjl1
Feb 14, 2004
I would venture to say you are a couple of clicks ahead of the rest of us.

Have A Nice Day, πŸ™‚
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 14, 2004
James, I’m not sure if i’m being complimented or made fun of..oh well, and the story continues……
J
jhjl1
Feb 14, 2004
That would be a compliment my dear.

Have A Nice Day, πŸ™‚
James Hutchinson
James, I’m not sure if i’m being complimented or made fun of..oh well,
and the story continues……
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 14, 2004
oh ok then, Thank you James. By the way…I’m looking forward to photographing tulips this spring…I think an Elements ‘spring time flowers’ should definietly be one of the photo challenges…I can’t wait !!!

Grant, listen to the web weaver πŸ˜‰
J
jhjl1
Feb 14, 2004
The first bulbs to emerge in spring are always a treat. The fun part is following the emergence of spring up the mountainside, it seems to stretch out forever. It can last from March to June or July.

Have A Nice Day, πŸ™‚
James Hutchinson
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 15, 2004
A spring flower challenge would be nice long as you don’t mind my photos being six or more months old…. we do spring in September…(44.7ΒΊC yesterday – hottest February day on record…..roll on Autumn…)

susan S
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 15, 2004
Susan, it was 44 here today…..unfortunately, that was Fahrenheit…
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 15, 2004
Chuck, yes…i saw that while watching the weather channel..Texas got chilled a liitle…poor thing.

Susan, I’d llllooovvvveeee to see the Aussie spring flowers…makes not difference to me when the shot was taken. It’s not like all the pics in the current challenge are ‘current’ πŸ˜‰
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 15, 2004
Jodi – as I’m an expat (from England originally) most of my spring flowers will be the familiar daffodils and freesias etc – tulips don’t survive very well unless you dig them up and put them in the fridge over the summer! The Australian native flowers mainly come out in late winter.. you have to go and hunt for the pretty ones, the little orchids and things – sadly around here a lot of the native bush has been overgrown with introduced species such as bridal creeper and olive trees and much of the native flora and smaller native birds are under a lot of pressure as suburbia expands.

Susan S.
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 15, 2004
Susan,

The spring flowers have arrived early this year in the UK … I now have snowdrops, daffodils and crocus flowering in the garden.

Where abouts in the UK were you from?

Wendy
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 15, 2004
Wendy, now i’m really pissed…no not drunk…angry…more like overly jealous. we are in a deep freeze in NY again. No sign of spring anywhere.
PD
Pete_D
Feb 15, 2004
Spring is in June, summer in mid July
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 15, 2004
Here the snowdrops are leaving off flowering all ready. Luckily I was just in time to record a wedding on the local small piece of woodland, all covered with these little white flowers. Daffodils and crocusses started flowering allready. But I have to admit, spring is early this year. I still remember once I have been skating 100 miles on a sunny Sunday in the beginning of March. But that was in the year 1963. πŸ˜‰

Leen
SS
Susan_S.
Feb 15, 2004
Wendy – I’m from North London (Enfield) originally…

Susan S
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 16, 2004
Leen ….That sounds like a really superb setting for wedding photographs.

Susan … For a few years I worked in London mostly Central London but I did get out into North London sometimes. Then the firm I worked for relocated us to the Midlands … Some housemove Tunbridge Wells to Coventry. Oh well at least the house prices were a lot cheaper!!

Jodi … Spring will arrive but in the meantime make the most of the ice & snow. Makes great photos !!!

Wendy
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 18, 2004
We have two Crocuses blooming here today! Sping is coming……

Dick
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 18, 2004
Dick, wow, so I take it the snow didn’t stick πŸ˜‰
DS
Dick_Smith
Feb 19, 2004
No, Jodi, it lasted for about 5 days before it was all gone, but these flowers are the most persistent we’ve ever had, started to see the shoots about 2 weeks ago!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 19, 2004
Oh poor thing…let me come down there and pick them all πŸ™‚
GK
Gary_Kenaley
Feb 28, 2004
You may have 3 conflicting registry keys for AdobeHome.
The correct key is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe.
This was recommended by Adobe and fixed the recipe download. It did not fix the program update download (I have V2.0.2)- maybe because there are no updates to download?
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 28, 2004
You’re right, Gary – no updates. And thanks for posting a fix for the recipe downloads. Let’s hope someone else who might be having trouble finds it.
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 29, 2004
Re #30

Wendy, you are right; it was a lovely place to shoot wedding images. There are some of these images on my website in the wedding galery ("huwelijk" in Dutch). On page 4 image #2 and on page 3 image #7.

About 25 years ago I carefully took just only a few of these flowers and planted these in the garden of my newly built house. This time of the year it is white all over the place. Each year on my mother in laws birthday, February 7, we are able to pick some for her.

About North London, I covered a wedding of a couple from Enfield and stayed there for a few days. I made my images at Hadley Wood golf club, a wonderful place to be. I learned this is the most expensive golf club in the UK and now I know why. πŸ˜‰
Three days later I attended a seminar in Milton Keynes and all my colleagues envied me about being able to shoot at such a exclusive location. πŸ˜‰

Leen
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Feb 29, 2004
Leen,

The wedding photographs are so beautiful. The small piece of woodland is a wonderful setting for wedding photographs and the carpet of snowdrops really does make the scene extra special …

I do wish that I could take photographs like that … I suffer from "view finder blindness" πŸ™‚ …. all I seem to see in the viewfinder is the main subject … as a result I get all sorts of strange backgrounds, foregrounds and clutter!!. Must be a cure for it!!!

Wendy

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups πŸ”₯

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections