M
Posted By
mccabejc
Feb 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just installed Elements 2.02, and I’ve noticed that the Browse feature is EXTREMELY slow. Especially if you use large icons. For folders with many images, it can take many minutes to display all the file icons. Compared to Paint Shop Pro, the the speed of Browse in Elements is horrendous. Anyone know if there’s a fix for this? Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

J
jhjl1
Feb 16, 2004
I believe Elements builds and stores a cache file of thumbs because mine come up instantly when browsing. I also use PSP and find Elements equal in this department.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
NS
Nancy_S
Feb 16, 2004
I think in the Edit>Preferences there is an option to use a cache or not.
M
mccabejc
Feb 16, 2004
Thanks, but I don’t think it’s a cache issue. I already had the cache set.
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 16, 2004
You don’t give any system specs, nor do you say how you define "folders with many images." How many is "many"? It sounds as though you might simply be overtaxing the system. Elements is, I believe, a more sophisticated application than Paint Shop Pro, so it could be doing things behind the scenes that the other program isn’t.

Personally, I try to limit the number of images I have in folders, mainly for my own sake in narrowing down the choices when I go to look for something specific. That also serves, though, to reduce significantly the number of thumbnails that have to be generated whenever I’m viewiing the contents of a folder. If I need to review a large number of image files, I use another program for the Mac that’s similar to Photoshop Album, which is Win only. Once those programs generate thumbnails, they’re stored and don’t need to be redrawn every time. If you have a large number of files/folders, you might want to consider something like that. These programs can be set up to automatically open a specific file in Elements when you double click on it.

One other thing that comes to mind – be sure you don’t leave any of those large folders open in the Browse window when you close Elements. If you do, Elements will try to generate all of those thumbs as it’s launching, and there have been a couple of people who’ve found that Elements then freezes during start up at that point.

Post some system information and maybe someone can come up with more/better suggestions.
PD
Pete_D
Feb 16, 2004
Maybe try this;

on the browse screen, click "More" button and the bottom item is "purge cache".

Pete

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections