Posted By
ajbrutico
Feb 24, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

Using iPhoto 09 happily. Have Photoshop CS4 set up as my editor.

When in Photoshop itself, and I want to browse my iPhoto library, I choose "Media" and then "Photos" in the Left column of the open window. My iPhoto "Events" load — they are very fast and smooth. I can rollover the even…all photos spin by very fast. However….

When i click the event to get to the individual files….they load very slowly…they are initially blurry, and sharpen slowly over time. Scrolling through them is tedious.

As another example… I can use Firefox, and click open file, have the same window come up…click media and photos, click the event, and the photos in there load very fast, and i’m able to blaze through them.

This tells me its something with photoshop. Anyone have this problem or know a workaround?

Running CS4 and iPhoto 09.

iMac 3.06 Ghz, 4GB Ram, 750GB HDD

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 24, 2009
If you have CS4, why would you want to use iPhoto anyway?

Use Bridge CS4 to locate and preview your images; and double click on the thumbnail in Bridge to open the file directly in Photoshop.

Also, you can use Bridge’s File menu/ Get Photos from Camera to download your photographs from your Card reader — you have no need for iPhoto at all.
NT
Nini Tj
Feb 24, 2009
Ann asked: If you have CS4, why would you want to use iPhoto anyway?

One reason might be: Because iPhoto ’09 has face recognition and geo-tagging of images and some other very smart features on top of that too like direct upload to Facebook and Flickr jsut to mention some new things. It’s really very nice.
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2009
Nini,

Out of sheer curiosity, what is the version number of iPhoto ’09?

Thanks in advance.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 24, 2009
I shoot RAW and use ACR (you can use ACR with both JPEGs and Tiffs too) so I have absolutely no need for face recognition (GEO is supported by ACR if your camera contains that module) and I have neither need, and definitely NO desire, for a direct link to either Facebook or Flickr.

And having spent half a day last week helping a friend who was trying to clean-up the mess that iPhoto had made of his Image Management (multiple sub-folders, duplicates and unloadable libraries all over his HD!) — I am more convinced than ever that iPhoto is a diabolical application.
-macman
Feb 24, 2009
Ann, you really have to stop circulating FUD about iPhoto. Your petty indifference of an app that you purport not even using isn’t very becoming of you. Contrary to your believes, the world doesn’t revolve solely around Adobe apps.

iPhoto is a an extremely popular app on the Mac (for good reason), and millions of users have embraced it for its seamless integration with all the other iLife apps. Yes, we all know you have an ongoing love affair with CS4…its impossible to miss on here! What you fail to realize is that iPhoto offers users features that are, either poorly implemented, or not even available with CS4. E.G. Slideshows from Bridge pale in comparison to anything iPhoto offers—its not even a valid comparison!!!

As for:

having spent half a day last week helping a friend who was trying to clean-up the mess that iPhoto had made of his Image Management

….perhaps it would have been prudent to offer said friend some basic computer skills. He obviously needs them if his pix are scattered all over his drive. iPhoto offers the user simple choices that, if judiciously applied, will seldom cause problems or conflicts. I have no problems finding or seeking out files. And, guess what… neither do millions of other satisfied users.

As for the OP’s question… forget about using Photoshop’s file browser. Its cumbersome, at best. Browse through this thread for the easiest solution(s): <http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bb6a869.59b7d1e2/14>
R
Ram
Feb 24, 2009
forget about using Photoshop’s file browser.

Spoken like a clueless user who has not launched a recent version of Photoshop in years. Photoshop 8 (CS) was the last version to have the File Browser.

The Bridge in CS4 is extraordinarily powerful and fast.

PS— Hope the plonking script gets updated soon. It works fine now in that I don’t even know whose post I’m quoting as I’ve plonked several posters, but a paragraph or two occasionally escape the script. Its author is working on a fix. 🙂
B
Buko
Feb 25, 2009
If you are using iPhoto as an image browser then you might want to ask Apple why its slow. I’m pretty sure Adobe has no control over Apple software.
A
ajbrutico
Feb 25, 2009
Well: If you browse the "open" command in firefox, and navigate to media, and then photos = VERY fast.

In Photoshop: Same "open" command, same media click, and then photos = SLOW.

This is why I thought it was Photoshops fault.
NT
Nini Tj
Feb 25, 2009
Ramón,
Version number of iPhoto in iLife ´09 is iPhoto 8.
NT
Nini Tj
Feb 25, 2009
Ann,
You are wrong. iPhoto is not diabolic. It also does not nowadays spread folders all over the place (it encloses them into the iPhoto Library-package to save the users from seeing all the folders and make a mess I guess). I guess you are talking about an old version where the folders were still visible without opening the library-package. Nobody really need to dig around inside those folders.
NT
Nini Tj
Feb 25, 2009
Buko,
iPhoto is not slow. Not even on my slowest machine, the old iMac with a meager 1,5 GB Ram. It is far from slow.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 25, 2009
I still fail to understand how ANYbody who owns Photoshop and Bridge CS4 with ACR 5.3 would want to use an inferior consumer-level application like iPhoto when they have the option to use professional-strength applications.

No accounting for tastes I guess.

🙁
R
Ram
Feb 25, 2009
Thank you, Nini.
NK
Neil_Keller
Feb 25, 2009
Ann,

ANYbody who owns Photoshop and Bridge CS4 with ACR 5.3 would want to use an inferior consumer-level application like iPhoto when they have the option to use professional-strength applications

Sometimes you just need or want the limited but effective capabilities. For example, I generally open Preview to quickly review .jpgs rather than haul out the big guns.

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 25, 2009
My "big gun" (Bridge CS4) is always primed:

I use its "Get Pictures from Camera" then go straight to its Slide Show (select all the thumbnails and hit the Spacebar) to whip through previews at full-screen size.

Or I just select the whole bunch of thumbnails and go straight into ACR to see each image at Full Screen or at a zoomed-in level.

So I have no use for Apple’s Preview either!

😉
A
ajbrutico
Feb 26, 2009
Man this is really getting off target — I’m not here to fight WHY my methods are right or wrong….I just want a solution to the problem 😉
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2009
To revert to the iPhoto issue:

MacFixit has posted this:
<http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20081210204832747>

THAT is exactly what happened to my friend last week! I tried all the fixes mentioned on that page and NOTHING worked.

Obviously a clean installation of IPhoto was called for.

Problem: his iMac is new and came with iLife pre-installed BUT Apple are too mean to actually give the purchaser the iLife installation CD.

Finally, he had to take the machine into the Apple Store where the Apple "Geniuses" were kind enough to re-install iPhoto 8 — but have apparently screwed up all his personal files in the process!

He does still have his Photographs because I backed them up to an external drive for him last week— but I have no idea what else they may have lost or destroyed.
R
Ram
Feb 26, 2009
Using iPhoto when you have a license for Photoshop is akin to hitch-hiking when your Bentley sits in your garage and your chauffeur twiddles his thumbs.
-macman
Feb 26, 2009
I still fail to understand how ANYbody who owns Photoshop and Bridge CS4 with ACR 5.3 would want to use an inferior consumer-level application like iPhoto when they have the option to use professional-strength applications.

(Sigh)… This is sad. I really don’t understand this biased, narrow-minded train of thought. Especially so, since it has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions why iPhoto is an essential part of users workflow. Why, for the love of lucid rational is that so hard to digest? Would it make you happy if every iPhoto user, whether they needed or benefited from it, flocked over to CS4? What would be your gain or end goal other than personal satisfaction in pursuing the topic to death? Honestly, the grade school mentality of ‘Mine’s Bigger and Shinier than Your’s’ is getting horribly long in the tooth. &#8232;&#8232;

No accounting for tastes I guess.

This has absolutely nothing to do with taste. iPhoto, even in its simplest form, provides a seamless, efficient gateway for innumerable, divergent workflows (some not available in CS4). Care to share your secret of outputting a Slideshow from Bridge that will keep an audience entertained for longer than a few seconds? Thought so. They’re pathetic! This is just one example of iPhoto’s appeal. Obviously, there are more but, given you’re distaste for the app, anything else I may add would only be construed as a bore and waste of time.

Nobody is disputing that CS4 and its kin isn’t a worthy, and for many (pro’s et al), irreplaceable app. Heck, I’ve been using it since ’92 (3.0). Photoshop, however, isn’t the ‘be all and end all’ and neither will CS4 be when I get around to updating CS3.

Over and above that, this is a professional forum and users shouldn’t have to suffer the indignity of being ridiculed and scrutinized for their choice of software. Now, could we please put the iPhoto squabbles and differences aside and concentrate on things that are really important!

Thank You!

&#8232;
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2009
First:

THIS is a Photoshop Forum — NOT an iPhoto Support Forum.

I still maintain that someone who owns, and apparently therefore knows how to use, CS4 has no need to use iPhoto anyway — and especially in the heels-over-head workflow that was described by the OP in this thread.

If he wants to open files (which are currently in his iPhoto Library) in CS4; in order to edit them in Photoshop, the only logical way to proceed would be to navigate to his iPhoto files In BRIDGE CS4 — and open the files in Photoshop from Bridge.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2009
Care to share your secret of outputting a Slideshow from Bridge that will keep an audience entertained for longer than a few seconds?

Perfectly simple: Build a Gallery with as many slides as you like in Bridge CS4. I do it all the time.

Here is one with 60 slides each of which is timed to play at for 6 seconds: <http://shelbourne-america.net/Seattle_Aquarium/index.html>

Macman:

If you had actually bought CS4, and had the slightest experience with it. you would know this.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2009
Sorry: I double-posted.

[Probably caused by irritation with the uninformed comments to which I was responding!]

8/
-macman
Feb 26, 2009
So if you’d head over to any of the Apple forums and a Photoshop problem arose, would you contest that as well? Mighty strange reasoning!

If you’re happy calling that a Slide show, Ann, than please accept my apologies.

I don’t!

And unless something has drastically changed in CS4 to hinder previous iPhoto integration, your (selective) method of opening iPhoto files is dead wrong.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2009
Macman:

Frankly, your opinions are of no interest to me.

Neither am I impressed by your manners.

As your interests seem to be limited to iPhoto, I suggest that you take yourself to Apple Discussions because you are obviously out of your depth in any discussions concerning Photoshop CS4.
R
Ram
Feb 26, 2009
Ann,

Remember that this is eminently and mercifully plonkable. Until you mentioned his user name in your post, I had no idea who your interlocutor was. It’s great for the blood pressure. 😉
-macman
Feb 26, 2009
Ann, you really shouldn’t have sent that last post.

As someone who used to hold you in high regards on these forums, I’m really disappointed to see you stoop to this level.

Your credibility just took a major nosedive.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2009
Ramón…

I am not keen on the Plonking idea because the conversation loses its thread — I find it better to swat the gnats as necessary.

As for for worrying about retaining "credibility" in the eyes of the ill-mannered "Macman"?
I don’t give a hoot!
R
Ram
Feb 26, 2009
Ann,

When a conversation loses its thread, I know it’s due to one of the several plonked individuals. Well worth it. The posters I have plonked have nothing to contribute that would remotely be of any interest to me.
-macman
Feb 26, 2009
Slideshows have to hold a viewers attention. Otherwise, following Ann’s example, viewers quickly get bored and generally just nod off. Her gallery of images reminds me of exhibiting 35mm slides projected on a white wall or screen that was employed 30 plus years ago. To me, that’s rudimentary, at best. The technology to woo an audience is readily available, so why not use it.

A fitting soundtrack to accompany the images makes all the difference in the world. Transitions are also vital parts to the process. Beginners often make the mistake of the-more-the-merrier (transitions) which ultimately distracts from the overall experience. Generally, simple fades suffice, but I often opt to supplement other fitting transitions to fit the mood of the depicted scenes. Same for selective use of in/out zooms—selectively used, you can create stunning results and the effects can leave your audience mesmerized.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2009
So go and discuss Slide Shows of that kind in a Forum that is dedicated to an Application that was designed for that purpose — such as Adobe Premier.

Personally I find "Transitions" both tacky and tedious beyond measure — but you can add those to Bridge-made Galleries if you are so inclined.

Most of us use Galleries as a way of showcasing our work on-line; and just want a clean, clear and crisp presentation without the sort of bandwidth hogging frills that you are talking about.
-macman
Feb 26, 2009
ill-mannered

Hmm… I see it far differently. Exactly opposite, in fact. I have tried to be as sociable as possible on this topic but you keep pushing the envelope of acceptable forum decorum. Ask yourself this: who cast the first stone? And the second, third and forth? We’ll let the members judge for themselves.

Interesting that as soon as someone doesn’t happen to agree with you, the insults start flying. You have no quarrels in dishing it out and when someone dares to step on your toes…my, my the haughty attitude creeps in.

I’m done with this. Have yourself a nice day.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 26, 2009
<SHRUG>

8/
A
ajbrutico
Feb 26, 2009
Thanks for all the help lol.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections