B
Posted By
babalooixnay
Oct 3, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello all. I’ve got an ongoing problem with missing and unusually small thumbnails in PSCS2. I hadn’t downloaded any images from camera for a few months so I’m not sure exactly when the problem began but I suspect the problem began after upgrading to Tiger 10.4.7.

The problem is this: After a recent download from Camera and conversion of NEFs to DNGs, thumbnails of DNGs did not build at all in Bridge. Thumbnails of NEFs built in Bridge but at about 1/6th the normal size (about the size thumbnails build in Finder)

I have done all the troubleshooting steps I could find: purging caches in Bridge both central and current folder, as well as other general purges in Safari etc. (12" G4 with 1.25G Ram and 80 G HD with 30G free) The purging process removed what existing DNG thumbnails there were and replaced them with generics.

I have updated all software. Currently Tiger 10.4.8, PS 9.0.2, ACR 3.5 and Bridge 10.4.6 (There is one odd point here. When running adobe updater It tells me I need to update to Bridge 10.4 but I have 10.4.6 installed and when trying to re-install 10.4 it tells me I can’t because I don’t have 10.3 installed?!)

The only other obviously odd point is that although the ACR plug-in (3.5) is installed in the correct folder: Macintosh
HD/Library/Applications Support/Adobe/Plug Ins/CS2/File Formats/, Camera Raw Preferences isn’t accessible in the Bridge drop down menu. There are no other ACR plug-ins installed that I can find. I was on
3.4 when the problem manifested itself.

Next step was to try and un-install PSCS2 and re-install. Problem here is I simply cannot find the un-install program (I have the original DVDs). Dragging and dropping CS2 into trash won’t un-install it and it won’t let me re-install.

Another area that might come into play is that about six months ago I spilled coffee on my original laptop and wiped out the main board. I installed PSCS2 onto the new identical machine and don’t remember what all was involved with re-registering but things seemed to go fine. I backed up my image files from a disk except for one shoot that I hadn’t backed up yet. Eventually I removed the HD from the damaged laptop put it into a case and copied the un-backed up images into the new HD. That was the only contact between the old installed program and the new one. I then erased the original HD and now use it as an external back-up.

I know the above problem is a lot to ask but I’m completely frustrated with adobe’s forums. I cannot seem to consistently find the Post New Topic button and when I have it won’t let me post although I am logged in properly. I have followed all the Adobe FAQs etc. and I get stumped at the point where it tells me that if Camera Raw Preferences doesn’t highlight in the Bridge menu then it’s not installed in the right folder, yet it is installed in the right folder and it works fine other than the thumbnail problem.

So, any advice on the problem directly? On getting into Adobe’s Forums and making them work? (Mac’s Forum produced the generic response of are all your upgrades in place and there isn’t a problem with 10.4.7) Or is this the point where I have to pay Adobe’s help service and will they actually see the problem through or will I be paying them 39 bucks a phone call to be talking to someone reading from a script? Thanks in advance!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections