MonacoOptix XR or GRETAGMACBETH Eye-One?

WG
Posted By
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 24, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m finally going to spring for a modestly priced hardware screen calibration system. I’ve been looking at the MonacoOptix primarily (for no apparent reason) and wonder what the opinions of people who own and use these systems are. Also, if I went for the Monaco is the EZ Color software package worth the additional cost? Am I missing some other system which gives better results?

Thanks for your thoughts.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Buko
Oct 24, 2006
I got the GRETAGMACBETH Eye-One. I’m very pleased.
IL
Ian_Lyons
Oct 24, 2006
Both companies are now owned by Xrite and the product line is in the process of being trimmed. You should be able to get more info at: <http://www.xrite.com/corporatehome.aspx>
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Buko and Ian. I’m rather sorry to see that Xrite owns both. The only specific statement I’ve seen is that both units which I mentioned in this question will be "continued"…whatever that means. As far as all the reviews and comparisons I’ve found between the two, they both seem quite adequate for basic monitor profiling although there seems to be a slight edge given to MonacoOptix XR for use with less expensive LCDs. I’m using Dells and they rate as ‘less expensive’ LCD’s in my book.

Hmmm…fortunately the purchase isn’t a big one. I hate dithering!
B
Buko
Oct 25, 2006
I bought a really cheap $199 19′ pallet monitor. I just couldn’t get the color right until I ran the eye one on it. Now it matches the Apple 23"

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections