SS
Posted By
Shirley_Sanderson
Nov 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I keep getting a message saying that I can’t crop a photoshop image because the startup disk is almost full. It isn’t close to being full, 60GB are free on that disk. My scratch disks are 1) another internal drive that has 130 GB free, 2) the startup disk w/ 60 GB free, 3 and 4, two firewire external drives in that order. The photoshop image I am trying to crop originated on a firewire drive, but I copied it to the startup disk. After the first time I attempt to crop the image, when I try again I get a message saying there is a disk error. I am running OSX10.4.8. Does anyone have an idea what is going on here, and how I can fix it?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Nov 12, 2006
Shirley,

My experience is that "Disk Errors" messages generally mean exactly what they say, but in this case there is another possible cause: check your crop tool settings in the options bar; you could have the resolution set to an impossibly large amount (like 100000), so that the resulting crop would indeed be bigger than your scratch disk.

If that’s not it, try running Disk Warrior.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 12, 2006
IF it says the scratch disk is full – that also means what it says. But that is a far different thing from a disk error.

And that could be because you’re asking Photoshop to create something huge, or because you really don’t have enough space on your hard disk.
SS
Shirley_Sanderson
Nov 13, 2006
I discovered that my second internal drive, 1st preference for scratch disk, did have some problems with the volume bit map that were corrected by a disk repair using Disk Utility. That seems to have solved the problem. The boot drive had no disk problems.

As far as the other suggestions, the resolution was set to 300. The original message said the startup disk (which wasn’t the first scratch disk preference) was full, when in fact there were 60 GB free.
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 13, 2006
IF you set the crop to resample, then Photoshop may be trying to create a much larger image. Photoshop has to allocate scratch disk space for that image. So, Photoshop needs 800 Gig, and you have 60 Gig available — so Photoshop says "sorry, can’t do that because the scratch disk(s) are full".
And it’s right, because you don’t have enough space to do what you asked it to do.
P
PECourtejoie
Nov 14, 2006
The resolution might be 300, but what is the unit of the dimension? inches, or centimeters?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections