tim_wood
Nov 15, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi

Beware Newbie Alert…

I’ve received some photos of my kids in .CR2 format and cannot open them with my Photoshop v7 (Mac). I’ve searched around for a plug-in on the Adobe site, but can only find mention of a plugin for CS2.
Have I got to get the data in JPG to be able to load these pictures or is there a way to open them ?

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Nov 15, 2006
Hi Tim,

There’s no way you can open those files in Photoshop 7 or 7.0.1, unless Canon supplies a plug-in, which I don’t think is the case.

Not all CR2 files are the same, so you also need to know exactly what Canon camera model generated those files.

If you can get the files in TIFF, JPEG or PSD format, then you can open them in Photoshop 7.0.1.

Incidentally, don’t forget to apply the Photoshop 7.0.1, it’s free and mandatory, as it contains a number of bug fixes.
P
PShock
Nov 15, 2006
Are you using OS X? What version? 10.4 (Tiger) can read Canon RAW files so you could use iPhoto to convert the files. I’m pretty sure the latest Apple updates will work with all Canon RAW files. (10.4.8 and the RAW support update released earlier this week)

Other than that, I’m afraid you’re out of luck as Ramón said unless you upgrade to PS CS2 (or get PS Elements) Can’t the photographer convert them for you?

-phil
B
Buko
Nov 15, 2006
He could use DNG maybe?
R
Ram
Nov 15, 2006
Buko,

There’s no way for Photoshop 7.x to open DNG files. The earliest version of ACR that can open DNGs is 2.4, and you need Photoshop CS to host that version.
TW
tim_wood
Nov 16, 2006
Thank you very much for your resposnes.
The images were taken on a Canon20D.
I need to find the 7.0.1 upgrade and install it.
I am using Tiger on a PowerBook G4 1.25Ghz, so will see what I can do with iPhoto5. The photographer has already supplied JPEGs along with the RAW, but he has already done some manipulation (cropping, colour balancing and some border effects etc) with the supplied JPEGs and I guess I wanted to start from scratch and take the opportunity to begin to learn and use Photoshop.
Its all been a bit of a favour by the photographer and I don’t want to ask too much and ask him to convert the RAW to JPEG and seem like I am saying I don’t like the work he has done.
I suppose the flattery opportunity is that I’d like to learn how he got from the RAW to the supplied JPEG 🙂
If I manage to get on well, then I will spend the money upgrading to CS2.

Thanks once again.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections