DW
Posted By
Dedrah_Wallk
Nov 20, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve recently purchased a new G5 PPC quad processor and am having a lot of problems with software freezing up, especially in Photoshop CS 8.0.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Nov 20, 2006
Many ideas, since it can be any one of many things:

Bad OS install, bad or mismatched RAM, insufficient RAM, other hardware problems such as hard drive issues, cables, connections, etc.

A lot more details would be needed.

Click here <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.2cd06cd9> for advice on how to ask your question correctly for quicker answers. Thanks!
DW
Dedrah_Wallk
Nov 20, 2006
I have not noticed any similarities on what is going on when the freezing up happens but typically either the machine freezes with the cursor arrow locked on screen on the gray screen comes over the monitor and said to restart.

Usually when the machine locks up the very loud fan will kick on.

A few times when I’ve had to restart I get the apple and spinning gear but then the apple turns to the "no" symbol (O with a line thru it) and I have to restart the restart.

Apple has recommended twice for me to reset my pram.

Your input is greatly appreciated – I will also look into some of you other ideas. thanks,
Dedrah
R
Ram
Nov 20, 2006
Dedrah,

Once again, details are needed.

How much RAM is installed? What’s the RAM allowance to Photoshop in Preferences? How much hard drive space is available? Is your scratch disk set to a separate hard drive (not a partition but a physicallt6 separate drive?

What routine maintenance do you run on your machine? Disk Utility? DiskWarrior? Is your machine on 24/7 so that the Cron Scripts can run in the wee hours as intended by Apple? If not, do you run them manually with Cocktail or similar utility?
R
Ram
Nov 20, 2006
If the whole machine locks up, you definitely have hardware problems. Bad RAM is the prime suspect. Then a hard drive going bad, cables, connections, CPU…
CC
Chris_Cox
Nov 20, 2006
The "gray screen" has some text on it.
That’s important.

The machine is not freezing — your OS is crashing.
That "gray screen" says it’s a kernel panic.

Either you have a bad install of the OS, or some bad hardware in your system.

In any case, it has nothing to do with Photoshop.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Nov 22, 2006
We are having great luck with Tweak Freak instead of Cocktail…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections