H
Posted By
harrillj
Oct 12, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whenever I click on the type tool, Photoshop 7.01 freezes. Need to use task manager or even the PC’s reset button to get out of the freeze. I have tried it on any type of image, same result every time.

It is a relatively new install on a newly built PC. Installed about week ago. Everything else seems to be fine except the Type Tool.

P4 3.0 GHz, 2 gig of DDR400 memory, Win XP SP1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
Oct 13, 2003
check the faq about system crashes and lockups.
H
harrillj
Oct 15, 2003
Looks like a plug-in conflict. I reinstalled Photoshop and before any plug-ns were installed, and I have many, the type tool worked. It even worked after I installed several plug-ins. I then assumed it was a bad install because I had a bad memory dimm at the time of time of PS install, I did not check again and spent the next 5 hours reinstalling all the plug-ins. Then when completed, I tried it, and the type tool froze Photoshop again. So now I will install one by one until I find the culprit, I hope.
DM
dave_milbut
Oct 15, 2003
I wouldn’t install ANY plugins for a couple of days and see if it locks up. Systems under XP (and win 2k) that totally lock (as opposed to an application locking up forcing crtl-alt-delete to terminate the app) are caused by either 1) bad hardware, 2) extremely buggy low level (sound, video, etc) device driver (and in most cases a device driver will only produce a blue screen), 3) bad bios.

anything else (application error) is caught by the os because of the way the system is designed (process isolation). It’s designed so that a crashing application (photoshop, plug-ins, etc) CAN NOT bring down the entire system. Only the failing process should lock.
P
Phosphor
Oct 15, 2003
Put ALL 3rd-party plugins in an auxiliary plugins folder, then point to it in your preferences.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections