S
Posted By
Silence04
Nov 30, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sometimes when i use text warp in photoshop CS2 it will completely mess up the font i am using… to the point where it looks like a different font?

this seems to be happening with half of my fonts, mostly opentype…

Does this ever happen to anyone?

here is a link to an example of what is happening:
<http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/9138/testwarpey9.jpg>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

S
Silence04
Dec 1, 2006
BUMP
B
Buko
Dec 1, 2006
not to sound flippant but you are warping the text.
R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
What Buko says. I was going to reply to the original post yesterday, but I could not do it without my response sounding like a variation of "Well, what did you expect? You are warping the letters."

Main Entry: 2warp
Function: verb
transitive verb
1 : to arrange (yarns) so as to form a warp
2 a : to turn or twist out of or as if out of shape; especially : to twist or bend out of a plane b : to cause to judge, choose, or act wrongly or abnormally : PERVERT c : DISTORT <intellect and learning…warped by prejudices — Irving Wallace> <warps space and time> d : to deflect from a course
S
Silence04
Dec 1, 2006
Text Warp isn’t meant to change the actual characteristics of a font is it?

it never has in previous versions, and i’m using the same fonts…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 1, 2006
If you warp text. you change the shape of the letters so you are no longer using the font as it was designed are you?
CP
christoph_pfaffenbichler
Dec 1, 2006
A possible work-around might be to group Your text into a smart-object and warp that (the same warping-options seem to be available); if the letter-borders get ugly increase the resolution of the smart-object.
R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
isn’t meant to change the actual characteristics of a font is it?

Yes, of course it is.

You’re now dealing with warped pixels.
R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
If you are thinking in terms of "text on a path" try doing it in Illustrator.
S
Silence04
Dec 1, 2006
wow, are you guys actually telling me that image looks normal!?!!?

i’ve been using ps since ver3, and i can tell you… thats not normal, this hasn’t happened to me in previous versions, i’m using the same fonts and they aren’t corrupt…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 1, 2006
Are you using:
Layer menu >Type > Warp;
Type on a Path;
or
Layer menu > Rasterize Type > Edit menu > Transform > Warp?

All of these methods produce different results and didn’t exist in Photoshop 3.
B
Buko
Dec 1, 2006
Type on a path is not warping type.

two different things.
L
Larryr544
Dec 1, 2006
Normal, same, what it’s supposed to do….
R
Ram
Dec 1, 2006
wow, are you guys actually telling me that image looks normal!?!!?

Yes.
P
paradoxmoon
Dec 2, 2006
Try using different anti-aliasing (sharp, crisp, strong, smooth).

Sometimes "sharp" can really screw up a font’s look.
P
paradoxmoon
Dec 2, 2006
The type doesn’t look normal at all, especially if you look at what warp is doing to the thin parts of the font.
B
Buko
Dec 2, 2006
It looks normal for being Warped

If you want it to look normal as it was made

Don’t warp it.
R
Ram
Dec 2, 2006
Yes, it does look normal for rasterized type that has been warped.

What else would you expect?

No, it doesn’t look "good", it doesn’t look true to the typeface and it doesn’t look aesthetically pleasing at all.

But it definitely looks normal for pixels that have been warped.

The wrong tool is being used in the example, it looks pretty bad, but that’s what I would expect if I warp any shape.
S
Silence04
Dec 4, 2006
I went to click on Text Warp today and got this error message: Could not complete request because of Program Error, then photoshop quit…

this time when i started photoshop again, the problem seemed to be gone, text warp doesn’t distort the actual characteristics of the font anymore!!! wooo!!!
P
PeterK.
Dec 5, 2006
It didn’t look at all like the warp tool was behaving normally from your example. It’s supposed to warp the text evenly, but in your example you can plainly see things that don’t make sense, such as the second "test" – the s has one serif that looks to be of "normal" size and the serif on top is unusually thin. And for some reason the fine lines of the typeface were growing for no apparent reason. I don’t know what the cause may have been, but if Photoshop quit out, a new preferences file may have been made, so it may have just been corrupt prefs.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections