AK
Posted By
Andrew_K
Dec 2, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just upgraded my OS from 10.3 to 10.4 now when I try to import from Photoshop the scanner software launches fine previews scans, etc hen when photoshop imports the file an error message comes up… "could not complete the import command because of a program error." well i reinstalled photoshop, updated the scanner driver and the same thing happens… also when i use the scanner software alone it scans fine saves the image as it is supposed to. but when I try to drag and drop the image file into Photoshop the same error message as mentioned appears.
Help.
Andrew

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
SteveV
Dec 2, 2006
Epson scanner?
AK
Andrew_K
Dec 2, 2006
yes, a perfection 1260
S
SteveV
Dec 2, 2006
There’s something dodgy about 10.4 and epson scanners in Photoshop with G5’s, my G4 runs PS 7 and 10.4.8 and it scans no problem.

Are you using a G5 too?
AK
Andrew_K
Dec 2, 2006
No I am using a dual 450 G4… everything worked fine until I upgraded a few days ago… dumb move right in the middle of a job…
S
SteveV
Dec 2, 2006
But you wouldn’t expect it.

I have had no trouble with the G4 but gave up altogether with the G5, from 10.4.0 onwards.
S
SteveV
Dec 2, 2006
Ahhhhh, I haven’t upgraded the G4 yet, I thought I did, it’s still on 10.4.7.
AK
Andrew_K
Dec 2, 2006
So do you have any ideas? 🙂
S
SteveV
Dec 2, 2006
None, every one here will tell you to scan outside of Photoshop anyway. Just use a stand alone scanning program, Epson have their own actually, it’s free at their website.
AK
Andrew_K
Dec 2, 2006
here is what I wrote in first message "also when i use the scanner software alone it scans fine saves the image as it is supposed to. but when I try to drag and drop the image file into Photoshop the same error message as mentioned appears. "

Well I wrote to epson so I just have to wait I guess … I need a real scanner anyhow so….

Thanks for your efforts.
S
SteveV
Dec 2, 2006
oops, missed that bit.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 2, 2006
when I try to drag and drop the image file into Photoshop the same error message as mentioned appears.>

What happens if you just OPEN the scanned image in Photoshop and re-save it as a .psd before you try to work on it?

And how much RAM do you have and how much have you dedicated to Photoshop? Do you have a separate HD for Scratch?
AK
Andrew_K
Dec 2, 2006
I use an empty formatted 30GB hard drive for scratch. There is 768 MB ram. When i use the "open command" from Photoshop’s menu I receive the exact same error message. So there is no way to rename the file as it never opens.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 2, 2006
First make sure that you have disabled Photoshops TWAIN plug-in by inserting a tilde (~) in front of its name.

How big are your scanned files? 768MB of RAM is not very much to run Photoshop on OSX .

I also notice that you are only using OS 10.4.6.

I would suggest that you trash your Photoshop Prefs. and run Disk Utility/Repair Permissions.

Then upgrade to 10.4.8 by downloading the COMBO updater from Apple and install it from your Desktop.

Then run Disk Utility/Repair Permissions again.
AK
Andrew_K
Dec 2, 2006

1. How do I do that?
2. My files are all small. My work is mostely web and some small graphics for publications. Were are looking at some small files. I never had trouble before the update.
3. I have updated to the latest version of MAC OS 10.4.8 it hasn’t helped
4. I trashed prefs and even went to the extreme of reinstalling and updating to 7.0.1
5. Permission repairs are run by me frequently.

So the only thing I haven’t done is disable the plugin. When I find out how I’ll give it a try! Thanks!
AK
Andrew_K
Dec 2, 2006
All right I finally figured out how to type in a Tilde before the scanner plug-in.. (change the name dummy). It is disabled. In the import menu there is no option for my scanner or a twain device. So I scanned an image using the scanner software Epson scan 2.77A which I downloaded from the Epson website two days ago. it claims to be compatible with OSX.4. I tried to open the new image in Photoshop and the same error message as before appeared.

next idea? 🙂
AK
Andrew_K
Dec 2, 2006
uh-oh!!!!!!!!!!! Now we are in strange territory……….. I just tried to open a graphic file that I made last week in Photoshop and I got the same error message!!!!!!!!!!

deep water now. I need serious help here.
B
Buko
Dec 2, 2006
does this happen in a new user?
AK
Andrew_K
Dec 2, 2006
Just tried it. No it doesn’t I CAN open the file made last week. Now I will try the twain plug-in re-activated… it works fine.

Okay what do i need to strip out of the other user account?

Thank you, at least now I can have a weekend.
B
Buko
Dec 3, 2006
Do an Archive and Install. It will give you a clean system and user, keeping all settings and apps. this is much faster than moving everything to aonther user
AK
Andrew_K
Dec 3, 2006
This is another problem I had but it doesn’t belong on this forum. When I upgraded to 10.4 from 10.3 using the DVD I just purchased from compusmart (no illegal stuff) the installer NEVER gave me that option. The only option was "upgrade" which I selected ( I did check and re-check as it didn’t match up with the manual) and lost all my settings having to set up everything manually…

All right I know what awaits me now. I thank everyone for their assistance and most of all am glad that the "bug" is with my system not a software problem. Now to block off some time and do a total wipe.. at least in the long run time will be saved.

Cheers!
B
Buko
Dec 3, 2006
Archive and install is the second option.
AK
Andrew_K
Dec 3, 2006
All right. I found it 🙁

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections