MP
Posted By
Marshall_Ponzi
Dec 4, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This may seem like a silly question, but… Can you get acceptable adjustment latitude when working with in-camera processed jpeg files?

I ask because I’ve shot Raw files since I bought my first digital camera (Canon DSLR’s and a Canon G2). Now I’d like to buy a new compact camera for travel / informal shooting, but it seems Raw is a thing of the past on most compact cameras.

I typically use PS for tweaking white balance, color balance, de-noise, highlight / shadow recovery, sharpening, and occasional soft focus effects. I’m afraid, I’ll lose the ability to produce quality photographs if I start from a jpeg. Should I be??

It almost feels like relying on the local pharmacy to process all my photos rather than a pro lab.

THanks for the advice.

Marsh

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Dec 4, 2006
Can you get acceptable adjustment latitude when working with in-camera processed jpeg files?

No.

Well… I suppose it all depends of your definition of "acceptable"; but JPEGs will never give you anything approaching the adjustment latitude of RAW images.
B
Buko
Dec 4, 2006
Its not even close.

But if you expose properly you will get acceptable results.
R
Ram
Dec 4, 2006
Note that only adjustment latitude is being addressed here, not the adequacy or suitability of in-camera JPEGs.
B
Buko
Dec 4, 2006
That’s why I said its not even close. B)
R
Ram
Dec 5, 2006
We cross posted, Buko. I had not read your post when I clicked on post. My second post was meant to emphasize a point in my first one; it was not meant to contradict you at all. [Just trying not to aggravate Allen’s and Peter’s JPEG ulcers. :)]
R
Ram
Dec 5, 2006
I’m just typing extra slow today. I’ve got some kind of hip or lower back problem on my right side that forces me to use my left hand to keep me in some semblance of an upright position, and it also keeps my right hand in an almost closed-fist position, so I’m typing with only the index finger and middle finger of my right hand. :/
B
Buko
Dec 5, 2006
I only type with 2 fingers normally. B)
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 5, 2006
Re: #6:

OUCH! That sounds very painful. Hope it gets better soon.

B(
R
Ram
Dec 5, 2006
Thanks, Ann. It’s most likely my hip again, which started acting up upon my return from my last China trip in 2000. Usually clears up in couple of months.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 5, 2006
An ice-pack might provide some relief?
R
Ram
Dec 5, 2006
Wish it did, but it doesn’t. Actually, the ideal is to extend the space where the ball of the femur fits into the acetabulum. Cold temperatures narrow it.
B
Buko
Dec 5, 2006
Tequila and heroin.

Thanks to this administration they are having a bumper crop in Afghanistan. Cheap heroin for everyone.
R
Ram
Dec 5, 2006
Yeah, that would do it. 😀 Except the myalgic encephalomyelitis has left me absolutely alcohol intolerant. A tablespoon of the stuff is enough to make me very, very ill. :/

I’m having Clausthaler with my dinner tonight.
B
Buko
Dec 5, 2006
I guess that just leaves the heroin then.
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Dec 5, 2006
Thanks for weighing in, especially for Ramon working in pain. Hope it gets better soon.

Back on topic. Your comments are what I expected I’d hear. The "suitability" of in-camera jpgs really is the heart of my question about "latitiude." My DSLR in-camera jpgs (shot along with raw) are rarely acceptable to my eye without some work in PS. No matter how I set the camera processing parameters, they’re never quite dialed in. Occasionally I use these versions for quick postings to the web or to give to family members, or when I’m not particular about quality.

But I still have the Raw files to rely on to do real fixes and polishing. I’m afraid w/ jpeg only, I’ll eventually be stuck with some potentially nice photos that can’t made really nice because I can’t make the needed fix in PS. Yes I know it happens with Raw too, but a lot less often.

I suppose the convenience of a compact camera comes with risks of quality anyway. In the film days, it was equivalent to which photos are you willing to trust to Walgreen’s (or worse, the Polaroid)?

Frankly I think camera makers are insulting our intelligence to stop offering uncompressed formats on the compacts. It’s like they’re saying, "Sorry you ignorant photo-snappers, you can’t have your own negatives." 99% of the digital camera users probably don’t care, but it would be nice to have the choice.

Thanks again,

Marsh
PG
Pat_Gilmour
Dec 5, 2006
Hi Marshall,
Some love ’em, some hate ’em, but if you can live with the Panasonic noise factor, you can have RAW in a compact camera with a Leica branded lens: just Google Panasonic DMC-LX2 or the older DMC-LX1. With good lighting you get great RAW shots with this pocket-sized camera. Use it after dark and you’ll be glad of Camera RAW’s features for reducing color noise which actually do a really good job.
Pat
AW
Allen_Wicks
Dec 6, 2006
This may seem like a silly question, but… Can you get acceptable adjustment latitude when working with in-camera processed jpeg files?

Now that we routinely have RAW as a choice that our cameras, apps and hardware can handle well, I agree that the relative answer is no.

I’m afraid, I’ll lose the ability to produce quality photographs if I start from a jpeg. Should I be??

Yes you should be concerned. Shooting highest JPEG quality it is possible to produce quality photographs. However it is almost always possible to achieve better image quality from RAW. Now that we have decent DSLR RAW capture workflow software (Aperture, Lightroom) and fast high capacity CF cards at reasonable prices (I use two 8 GB Sandisk Extreme IV cards) there really is no excuse not capture RAW 100% of the time.
MP
Marshall_Ponzi
Dec 7, 2006
Allen:

I agree completely. I’d never shoot anything but Raw if given the choice. Unfortunately the camera makers decided to stop enabling Raw in most all compact cameras.

I like to keep a small camera with me almost all the time when I can’t tote the SLRs around. It would be nice if there were more compact options with Raw.

Marshall

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections