MA
Posted By
Mark_A_Goodwin
Dec 8, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Having only recently changed over to Apple from PC I am still experiencing a learning curve. So, please forgive me if this question appears stupid!

I have a 20" flat screen and when I launch PS 2, the workspace – palettes etc,- open up onto my desktop background picture choice. What I am used to happening is that the workspace is of a Grey background, which I like. I promise you I have looked every where but I have been unable to find the answer. Basically how do I put a colour on my workspace, rather than having a ‘framed box’ to work on the pic, but then around the periphery of the ‘box’ – where the palettes all sit – is the picture-background I have chosen for my Mac. Is this because I now have a 20" monitor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 8, 2006
Work in "Full Screen mode with menu bar": Just click "F" to get there.
B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006
this is how Macs work. this is how we Mac people like it.

If you must have a grey boarder hit the F key or play with the 3 buttons at the bottom of the tool bar.
MA
Mark_A_Goodwin
Dec 8, 2006
Thanks very much for the advise folks, unfortunately, neither answer my query. Maybe it’s the way I am asking the question. I know how to get into full screen mode, with or without the menu bar.

If you can imagine, I have a screen picture of bird of prey sitting on a tree with lots of greenery around. Next I open a new page in PS and start working on a pic of my grandchild, unless I stretch the frame of the new pic out to full screen size, I am continually distracted by all the greenery of the desk top.

I have decided that it is worth losing the desktop picture and just have a blank grey desktop without any icons etc.

Thanks anyway, your help is much appreciated

Mark
B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006
I take it you missed post #2

this is how macs work this is how us mac folk like it. Most mac users in this industry have gray desktops.
RM
Rick McCleary
Dec 8, 2006
Perhaps I’m not grasping your problem clearly, but to do what you want (not be distracted by all the greenery of the desktop), full screen mode does the trick. Hit "F" once, or click the middle button on the tool box (directly under the Quick Mask buttons.)

BTW, most (if not all) pros who do serious color correcting in PS have their desktops set to gray. In fact, it is a quite a topic of debate as to which gray is the best. FWIW, I use 150/150/150.
RM
Rick McCleary
Dec 8, 2006
(just crossed with you, buko…)
B
Buko
Dec 8, 2006

B)
MA
Mark_A_Goodwin
Dec 9, 2006
Rick,

OK, I get it, thank you for taking the time to explain.

I am not a pro, and have no aspirations to be, hence my desktop has many changing faces. I am an old British Pro musician who is now a Management & Training Consultant!

However, I have been a keen photographer for some 30 years and try to find the time to enjoy my hobby.

Once again thanks for feedback

Mark

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections