WB
Posted By
will_bullock
Dec 12, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi – we have recently been tasked with designing a UI for a product and the color depth is limited to 4-bits per channel, or 4,096 colors total. Since Photoshop does not support 4-bit natively, does anyone know of a workaround, plugin, or 3rd party app that we could use to effectively communicate our color selections to the build team? (No, indexed color won’t cut it at only a 256 color palette)

thanks!
..w

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WB
will_bullock
Dec 12, 2006
OR…even easier perhaps, could someone walk me through creating a custom 4,096 color palette (factors of 16, I believe?)
L
Larryr544
Dec 12, 2006
Image > Mode > Indexed Color has the capability of doing what you are asking. Perhaps googling for a table that can be loaded so that you don’t have to define all 4096 colrs?
TT
Toby_Thain
Dec 14, 2006
If you need dither (i.e. Posterise doesn’t cut it), I have plugins <http://telegraphics.com.au/sw/#12bits> for this exact solution (see: 12bits).
WB
will_bullock
Dec 15, 2006
Thanks for the input guys; we are still learning from our programmer about how to structure our color palette. Rather than going for a full 4,096 color palette, apparently what’s most important is to have the R,G,+B values be multiples of 16 to coincide with what the chip can output.

So, for now, we’re doing it all manually in Imageready’s indexed/optimized mode. cheers + thanks again,
..w

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections