Cannot not run Photoshop and Illustrator at the same time. Why?

CM
Posted By
Chad_McKinney
Dec 16, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Been trying to open both Photoshop and Illustrator at the same time, however the application I have open first will close when I open the 2nd application.

What is causing the first application to close upon opening the 2nd Adobe application?

It doesn’t matter which I have open first, Illustrator or Photoshop, the first will always close.

-CM

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Dec 16, 2006
Details are needed.

Click here <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.2cd06cd9> for advice on how to ask your question correctly for quicker answers. Thanks!
CC
Chris_Cox
Dec 16, 2006
Are you running on a MacIntel system?
That sounds like a known problem with the Rosetta emulation software.
CM
Chad_McKinney
Dec 17, 2006
More information

The machine I am working on is a new Mac laptop running OSX 10 with the Intel chip.

I’ve read around on the forum and found that by having 1GB of ram the applications run smoother and helps with the functionality of applications. I do not believe the memory is an issue with my standard 512Mb of memory.

Chris
Thanks for the info concerning the Roseta issue. Have you seen any other information concerning this issue with the Intel and Mac OS? If you have a link I’d like to research this further. A few other designers in the company are having similar issues and are blaming it on the Intel chip. I just want a work around or a fix.

Thank you all for the fast responses.

-CM
JM
John McWilliams
Dec 17, 2006
wrote:
More information

The machine I am working on is a new Mac laptop running OSX 10 with the Intel chip.

I’ve read around on the forum and found that by having 1GB of ram the applications run smoother and helps with the functionality of applications. I do not believe the memory is an issue with my standard 512Mb of memory.

Are you saying you have but 512 Megs of memory on a MBP and you’re trying to run PS II, much less that and other heavy duty apps? Waaaay to tight. I’d say a Gig is a practical minimum; more if possible.
B
Buko
Dec 17, 2006
I do not believe the memory is an issue with my standard 512Mb of memory.

It most certainly is. You need as much memory as you can put into that machine. the OS needs RAM, Rosetta needs RAM, your apps running in Rosetta Need RAM. 512MB is pitiful at best.
AR
alan_ruta
Dec 17, 2006
Having little memory will certainly slow the OS, down to a crawl, or perpetual spinning ball, but the software quitting one program when you start the other sounds like a different issue.

alan
R
Ram
Dec 17, 2006
Chad,

I’m surprised you’re even able to run Photoshop on a box with only 512MB of RAM. That is simply absurdly, ridiculously low. Even double that amount would be low.

Max that machine out with as much RAM as it will take.
R
Ram
Dec 17, 2006
Alan,

The OS is being starved off memory with that pitifully low amount of RAM. I’m not surprised strange things happen.

Apple should be ashamed of itself. Shipping a box with that little RAM these days borders on criminal fraud.
S
SteveV
Dec 18, 2006
I disagree Ramon, they sell ram at such a high price thats it’s a token chip or two in there. Nearly all of us source our ram elsewhere anyway at far cheaper prices than Apple offer.
R
Ram
Dec 18, 2006
Steve,

That’s why I added "CRIMINAL".

Shipping a box with that little RAM these days borders on criminal fraud.
CM
Chad_McKinney
Dec 18, 2006
I appreciate the info guys and will look into getting some more memory installed in the Mac. I’m a PC guy myself, and I’m helping my g/f’s office out with theon going issue with their new Intel based Mac’s.

If someone could save me the time in figuring out what type of memory and the best place to purchase the memory I’d appreciate it.

-CM

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections