WC
Posted By
Wayne_Coey
Feb 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m a newbie to digital photography. Any advice on how to simulate an 812 warming filter?

Thank You,

Wayne

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 28, 2004
Wayne, what is an 812 filter? Could you provide a link?

Leen
R
RobertHJones
Feb 28, 2004
Leen,

The 812 is a warming filter manufactured by Tiffen. It’s slightly warmer than the skylight 1-A filter and used for much the same purpose.

Bob

edit: I just decided to do a web search and found this page that describes it fairly well: http://www.2filter.com/faq/warmfil.html

See the 3rd paragraph.
MD
maryann_dolbeare
Feb 28, 2004
Wayne
If you are near a Barnes and Noble check and see if they have Jan. issue of Digital Camera World from the UK. They have 2 free Nik Color Efex Filters, Skylight Filter and Brilliance and Warmth. Both seem great. Make sure it’s the CD software the DVD is different.
My B&N still has a few issues left, I’m waiting for the Feb issue with the Buzz filter. The Jan issue also has the Dreamy Filter but I think that is still free online.

Maryann
PA
Patti_Anderson
Feb 28, 2004
Wouldn’t a Gradient Map adjustment layer work well for this filter effect? Here is an before/after example of a photo of a tangerine tree on which I used a salmon pink to white gradient. First, I created a Gradient Map adjustment layer and then chose the Salmon Pink to white gradient (in a group of gradients called Simple). I used the Soft Light blending mode and lowered the opacity to about 80%.

<http://www.pbase.com/image/26452900>

If you click to view the two previous photos you can see more detail. It may not be the best example, but it will give you the idea. 🙂 I’m just learning the possibilities of gradient maps, so maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can explain it better.

There is always something new to learn!

Patti
LK
Leen_Koper
Feb 28, 2004
I see, it is equivalent to a B&W KR3 filter.

Simulating the effect of this filter cannot be too difficult. This is how I would do it. Create a layer, go to Variations and add some red and yellow. Set the opacity to the desired amount and increase saturation just a little.
This will do the trick.

Moreover, another easy way is to download this free software: <http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/filtersim.htm> Just choose the appropriate filter.

Leen
P
pcoursey
Feb 28, 2004
Wayne
FilterSim has a stand alone program called Glass Photo Filter Simulator. http://www.mediachance.com/digicam/filtersim.htm
Will do what I think you want.
PC
wrote in message
I’m a newbie to digital photography. Any advice on how to simulate an 812
warming filter?
Thank You,

Wayne
TF
Terri_Foster
Feb 28, 2004
Couldn’t this be done with a solid fill layer assuming he has an idea of the color this filter is based on?

Terri
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 28, 2004
Terri, a solid fill layer is a great idea. Can play with the color choice, layer blending mode and opacity ’til your hearts content…
R
ruizpaul
Feb 29, 2004
Wayne,

Sooner or later, some smart person will publish a comprehensive list of filter formulas. In the meantime, Scott Kelby suggests the following formulas in his Photoshop Elements for Digital Photographers:

80A R101 G102 B169
80B R171 G170 B214
81A R252 G241 B211
81B R250 G228 B181

He applies these to a New Layer and selects the "Color" blend mode with an Opacity of of 20-35%. Vary the Opacity as you see fit. Hope this helps.

Paul
PA
Patti_Anderson
Feb 29, 2004
Sooner or later, some smart person will publish a comprehensive list of filter formulas. In the meantime, Scott Kelby suggests the following formulas in his Photoshop Elements for Digital Photographers: He applies these to a New Layer and selects the "Color" blend mode with an Opacity of of 20-35%.

I’ve searched the Net, but haven’t come up with anything…yet. I thought maybe one of the thousands of plug-ins might have something to simulate this, but I come up blank.

Paul, is that info you gave in Kelby’s Elements book or his Photoshop book? Also, I don’t understand the use of the Color blend mode. It makes the image too dark. I thought the purpose of the warming fiters was to warm up shadows and skintones, not make them darker. Am I missing something here?

Patti
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 29, 2004
Patti, instead of Color mode, try Color Burn mode for a different effect; doesn’t seem to darken so much on an image I just tried.
R
ruizpaul
Mar 1, 2004
Patti,

It’s in the Elements book on page 178. The subject is "Replicating Photography Filters". Remember, you have to reduce the opacity. His target values are 20-35%. There are suitable ways to lighten the image if necessary. I’d try Enhance, Adjust Brightness/Contrast, Brightness/Contrast and/or Levels to start with. Wish I could be more helpful, but i’m still new to this program. Maybe someone else will suggest something more definitive.

Paul

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections