JG
Posted By
Jonathan_Gilcreast
Mar 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using Windows me, 256 ram 40 hard drive. I have a question about layers or using layers in photoshop elements 2.0. First I bring upa picture so it is displayed in a large view or in the work area and then open the layer palette. It shows that the picture I brought is the background layer. I then bring up another picture then click on layers on the top ( where "file " is and all that )and click on layer which brings up a dialogue box where you can label the layer as layer 1 or layer 2. I do this and then open the layer pallette again and it shows that the new image is the background image and not layer 2. The first image has completely disappeared. Is it that the layer function only applies to one image? Also when I open the layer palette and click on the bottom icon to add a new layer and the pink box appears as layer #2 in the layer palette what s the process involved in getting an image to appear on that pink box as it does in the user manual? I hope this is clear and I’d appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

GW
greg_wallis
Mar 4, 2004
Jonathon
haven’t exactly followed what you are doing but see if this helps.

Open an image and the layers pallette and the image will appear as the background layer. Go to layers>new layer via copy or click on the layer in the pallette and drag it onto the copy icon next to the trash in the layers pallette.You will now have the background image and a copied layer above it.

If you want to open another image file then go ahead and do the same process as above without closing the other window.Once you have the background layer copied click and drag it across to the window with the first image in it….you will notice a light grey border higlight around the host image. Once you have dropped it here it will appear as a new layer on your original image and pallette.

Remember to check that both images are the same resolution….if not click on the new layer then select the move tool…..the image will have the boundaries highlighted and if you go to just outside of any corner you can resize that layer…..if you hold down the shift key while you drag the corner it will constrain the resizing in proportion to the original.

Am not sure what you mean by pink boxes…..the layer pallette on mine is blue…

good luck

greg
BH
Beth_Haney
Mar 4, 2004
Jonathan, if Greg’s response doesn’t answer your question, could you please repost and be a little more specific about what you’re seeing in the Users’ Manual? (OK, so I admit I’ve never opened it!) Maybe describing what you’re trying to accomplish will be helpful, too.

On my computer, I can have two pictures open, but the palette applies only to the image that’s ‘active’. I always assumed that was just how Elements works.

The difference between the pink boxes you’re seeing in the Layers palette and Greg’s blue boxes are a function of how you have the colors set on your operating system. You’re both looking at the same thing.
JG
Jonathan_Gilcreast
Mar 4, 2004
Hi, thanks for your suggestions. Sorry I wasn’t clear. 1) I am trying to figure out if you can make layers using different photos, not just one. Are layers taken from just one photo or can you use another photo or part of another photo as a layer. What I was trying to explain is whenever I try to make another photo a layer after opening a first photo and making it a background, the second photo becomes the background in the layer palette and the first photo I opened as a background no longer is the background but dissappears. I guess what I am trying to do is open a picture and make it a backgound, shown in the layers palette as such, and then open another photo and make it a layer without it becoming a new background and having just stay as a layer. 2) when you have a background in layers palette and click on add a layer on the bottom of the layers palette a colored ( pink or blue ) box appears as a new layer. In the manual it shows these boxes with pictures on them. This is just one way to add layers and I am confused as to how to put the pictures on them. ( that may be unclear but take a look in the manual.) Thanks
MM
Mac_McDougald
Mar 4, 2004
Open a new image you want to put in the first image.

You don’t even have to make a new layer in the first image. Just click and drag second image into first one (with move tool active). It will copy image into first image automatically making a new layer.

Or, you can make a new layer as you’ve been doing. Select all in other image and copy/paste it into first image with layer you want it in active.

Note that the relative pixel size of the two images are relevant here as far as sizing.

Mac
JH
Jim_Hess
Mar 4, 2004
Jonathan,

Open the photograph that you want to be your "background". Next, open the photograph that you want to layer onto that photograph. Using the Move tool, simply drag that photograph on to your background photograph, and it will be added as a layer. The layer pallet will only display layers in a single picture. Anyway, give this a try and see if it gets you started in the right direction.

Jim
TF
Terri_Foster
Mar 4, 2004
If you can’t picture what they are explaining, I would suggest checking out <http://arraich.com> he has lots of great tutorials that covering element’s basics. In this case, I think maybe "Holes" would be the tut would illustrate what the guys are explaining.

Terri

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections