GF
Posted By
Gillian_Frances_Keeley
Jan 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello, I’m depressed over an interpolation issue.

I’m working on a brochure for a client. Their brief was ‘as cost effective as poss’ and they left a very brisk lead time.

Some of the images they supplied were low resolution screenshots taken from a monitor. I advised my client that the print scale would be restricted by resolution constraints.

My spec for supplied images is 300ppi at 100% print scale. The first thing I do with all supplied images is rescale without resampling.

At 100%, these screenshots looked sweet enough in the layout – the size of a large postage stamp, still they weren’t legible.

I’ve never offered to interpolate images in the past, partly because I haven’t needed to, and partly because I’m aware that this will degrade the image. I don’t want to take the risk.

Still if ever there was a case for it, this was. So I experimented by scaling the images to 150% of the print scale, resampling to 300ppi.

I explained that resampling might be an option, advised the client of the risk of degrading the image and presented a visual of the option. I said that the decision to go with an interpolated image must lie with him, because I didn’t want to take it.

He wanted the bigger images, but wouldn’t take responsibility for the decision. I can understand this, but I wasn’t prepared to make it myself. Now we are bothe cheesed off, him because he hasn’t got what he wanted and me because I’ve put in a load of free time in an attempt to help which has caused nothing but problems.

How should I have handled this? Have I been unprofessional? If I produce a 720dpi inket proof of my interpolated image, how far can I trust it as representation of the offset litho printed image? Are then any codes or calculations I can use as a guideline for safe interpolation of images to suit offset litho or digital output?

I’d welcome any advice and support. I think I’ve probably screwed up, but I was just doing my best to help my client. Sorrowfully, Gill.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ram
Jan 8, 2007
Ooooooops! [Duplicate thread] Deleted by poster.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections