N
Posted By
neilleslie
Jan 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m producing a 7m by 2m photoshop image for a reception lobby and need advice on file size and resolution. I’m working at it now but it’s S…..L…..O…..W. Worse still, I’m getting a message that the file can’t be saved because it’s over 2gb in size. Is this 2gb warning normal?

I’m used to working at 350 dpi for magazines and brochures, how low can resolution go for this mural project? I’ve heard talk of 72dpi but that seems worryingly low.

Set up here is:
OSX 10.4.8
768mb RAM
Photoshop 7.0

Thoughts, input welcome.

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Jan 13, 2007
Is this 2gb warning normal?

In Photoshop 7.x, yes.

Upgrade to CS2.

Max your machine out with RAM. Apply the free and mandatory 7.0.1 update, it has many bug fixes.
DR
Donald_Reese
Jan 13, 2007
You must remember this image will be viewed at many feet, not inches like a magazine. you could possibly do a 13×19 test print of a section of your image at various resolutions to get a better feel for whats acceptable. pick an area with some detail and view it at a normal distance and you should see whats usable. i think you are shooting too high with 300 ppi myself.
F
fotografica
Jan 13, 2007
Are you printing this in house?

If not, you should speak with whoever is printing this megaposter and find out the resolution they require.

I just prepared some images for posters just as big and the printing house required images at 100% but 30 dpi.

In general I prepare images for large displays at 100 to 150 dpi It’s like Donald says you need to realize this poster will be from far away.

You still need lots of RAM and CS2 for sure.

My recommendation is speak with the whoever is printing this image.
PC
Paul_Cutler
Jan 13, 2007
Speak to the vendor. I have worked at everything from 18ppi at 100% to 150ppi at 100% depending on the size of the signage and how close it’s going to be viewed.

Tight vendor integration is the key to large signage.

peace
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Jan 14, 2007
Do it in two pieces.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections