HELLO! On reducing your Photoshop document’s image size…

GF
Posted By
Gillian_Frances_Keeley
Jan 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello there…

Could reducing the scale of a high res image for a printed doc without resampling the image cause it to appear dark?

I reduced some photos to around 20% scale in Indesign CS. They appeared dark in our printed newsletter. I just want to check that this wasn’t as a result of scaling down the image so much without resampling. The final artwork was supplied to the printer as a press-res PDF.

Thanks for any scaling / downsampling advice.

Are there any arguments for downsampling a reduced image, apart from making your file size smaller and speedier to work with?

Kind regards
Gill Keeley

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Bernie
Jan 17, 2007
Could reducing the scale of a high res image for a printed doc without resampling the image cause it to appear dark?

AFAIK, not unless the image has some sort of fine texture (say cloth or something)

Are there any arguments for downsampling a reduced image, apart from making your file size smaller and speedier to work with?

Again, if the image has a fine texture it may avoid some bad surprises
B
Buko
Jan 17, 2007
I always print my images at 100% in ID. If you let ID or the RIP down sample the image you will end up with softening of the image this maybe acceptable for a quick and dirty job.
GF
Gillian_Frances_Keeley
Jan 21, 2007
Hmmm, thanks very much people. I think my instinct tells me to go with Buko, and resize in PS once I’ve decided how much by in ID.That would be a good point at which to refine the image a litle in PS too, if need be. Though it takes longer the go-back-into-PS route!
Many thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections