P
Posted By
peterpica
Feb 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone advise me as to what’s wrong with this file?

<http://home.comcast.net/~peterpica/CONTONEpojalogo.tif.zip>

After using a color version of this .tif file very successfully, I converted it to greyscale (in photoshop) and used the image in a one-color envelope and one-color masthead. The PDFs look great, it prints out fine on my Epson 4400 great, etc., however…I’ve had two service bureaus return films to me that result in "blotchy" printed pieces on press. Parts of the darker screened background areas seem to "plug up" on press.

Both bureaus tell me that the art is no good, but they can’t tell me what’s wrong it — just that it’s bad.

Any ideas?

thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Feb 6, 2007
Well, the file is untagged, and it has highly improbable creation and modification dates of 1979. What’s up with that?
PT
Phil_Taz
Feb 6, 2007
The screen values in your file look ok, the ‘blotchiness’ might be where there are some scuff marks etc especially at the bottom. Also, at around 85% tint like you have in the background, it is possible that some stocks will fill in at that level if they are absorbent or uneven stocks or if it is printed with too fine a screen ruling for the particular stock.

You could address this by reducing the overall weight of the screens and letting the press carry a little more ink/pressure.

The printer might be able to use better stock, better pressures and avoid gear marking etc.

The fact that you are working to film is probably going to reinforce these problems, because you will have a lot of dot gain in platemaking.

It is hard for platemakers to keep those screens clean and sharp. Reduce the tone or go to a CTP platemaker.
P
peterpica
Feb 7, 2007
Ramón: I know nothing about that as the file was given to me.

Phil: I’m not too sophisticated with Photoshop; can you clue me in on how I might reduce the weight of the screens? Reduce the tone?

The films are being run at 133 lpi as the press cannot handle 150 or better.

Thanks.
B
Buko
Feb 7, 2007
I would cut back the dropshadow to 50% or even 40%

Does the film look blotchy? If not, they have a crappy press that can’t print or the Plate guy can’t make plates. All the air is not being sucked out of the frame and the film does not contact the plate.

take the job somewhere else.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections