KS
Posted By
Kathy_Shearer44
May 6, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using Elements 1. I want to place an image of an arrowhead on a map image that I’ve already placed in Pagemaker. I photographed the arrowhead on a white background and then used the Magic Eraser Tool to render the white area transparent. The grey and white grid indicates the correct transparent area. Under "Layers" I locked the transparent pixels. I saved this image as a TIF (required for commercial printing)and specified that the transparency be saved. However, when I place this new image on the page, the white background shows up. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CW
Colin_Walls
May 6, 2005
I have some vague memory that PageMaker doesn’t support transparency, but I could be wrong.

Have you tried doing a simple copy/paste instead of going via the TIFF file?
KS
Kathy_Shearer44
May 7, 2005
Yes, I tried the copy>paste route with no success. I think perhaps I have to create the whole image in PS first and save it as one tif rather than piecing it together in PageMaker. I thought it would be possible, since I have layered tifs in PM before, but never tried one with a transparent section.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
May 7, 2005
Kathy, try this:

Donald Gruener, "3.6 – TIF: Maintaining transparency from Photoshop to PageMaker" #1, 23 Jan 2002 9:18 am </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>

PE’s closest equivalent would be a saved/loaded selection, but I don’t think that saved selections were available in PE 1 (It will be down near the bottom of the selection menu if so). If they aren’t try just making a selection before exporting to PM and see if it carries over. If it doesn’t, you might want to ask this in the Pagemaker forum.
KS
Kathy_Shearer44
May 7, 2005
Thanks for the link. I’ll give this a try.
R
RSD99
May 7, 2005
As you have found out, in the TIFF file format a ‘blank’ pixel is usually assumed to be white. Page Layout programs … and the TIFF file format … use a different method to define transparency.

First:
You need to define your transparent areas by making a clipping path.

Second:
Import the file … *with* the clipping path … into PageMaker, and assign the clipping path.

For more information, I suggest that you use your favorite local search engine and the search string

transparency TIFF "clipping path"

(*with* the quotes).

Or … for starters … see

http://pdesigner.net/photoshopcs/1_1_4_11.html

wrote in message
I’m using Elements 1. I want to place an image of an arrowhead on a map
image that I’ve already placed in Pagemaker. I photographed the arrowhead on a white background and then used the Magic Eraser Tool to render the white area transparent. The grey and white grid indicates the correct transparent area. Under "Layers" I locked the transparent pixels. I saved this image as a TIF (required for commercial printing)and specified that the transparency be saved. However, when I place this new image on the page, the white background shows up. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections