B
Posted By
BranderChatfield
Feb 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This one is a tad difficult to really explain, but it happens for another graphic designer here, so it’s not just me…

Contrained Cropping vs. Image Size

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BranderChatfield
Feb 7, 2007
Mac OS X [v10.4.8] with Photoshop CS2 [v9.0.2]

OK, I have an image that I want to be 1.25" x 0.75" at 300 dpi. I put those measurements in the contrained cropping fields. I crop the image. Then I check Image Size, and it is 1.25" x 0.70" at 300 dpi. Where did that 0.05" go?

So, for giggles, I try cropping at 1.25" x 0.80", image size ends up being 1.25" x 0.80".

I try cropping at 1.25" x 1.75", image size is 1.25" x 1.75". It just does not like cropping at 0.75"?

So, in the cropping fields I use the swap measurements tool to crop at 0.75" x 1.25" and image size is 0.75" x 1.25". Hmm, let’s try swapping the measurements back to 1.25" x 0.75", crop, and voila!, image size is 1.25" x 0.75".

I say what they hay, and move on. But first, I post it here to vent.

Has anyone else out there encountered such a trouble with Photoshop?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 7, 2007
I have not tackled the math, but be aware that Photoshop cannot size anything with fractions of a pixel, so if your measurements don’t translate to whole pixels you will get a changed value.
B
BranderChatfield
Feb 7, 2007
But why is PS ok with cropping at 0.65", 0.70", 0.80", or 0.85" but not 0.75" in the first attempt? Odd, I say, odd.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 7, 2007
Hmm. Have you trashed prefs as per the FAQs? I don’t see this in CS.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections