Posted By
JasonSmith
Feb 8, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
CS2
I use the layer clipping mask feature quite heavily, and I am noticing some different/annoying behavior that I dont remember from previous versions.

First off – if say a HSL adjustment layer is used with the underlying layer as it’s clipping mask, if that underlying layer’s visibility is turned OFF – going to ‘delete hidden layers’ gets rid of the underlying layer, but not the adjustment layer that was associated with it – thereby affecting everything underneath it. This may have been present in earlier versions. This makes it very confusing with lots of layers and groups, and makes it a project to find that one adjustment layer that didnt get deleted.

Second, moving/dragging the underlying layer up or down through the layer order does not include the associated adjustment layer – thereby unmasking that adjustment layer and affecting the entire composite underneath. This is REALLY annoying. Apparently we now have to group a masked adjustment layer if we want to change the layer order. I dont think this was present in previous versions.

With both issues, It can be very confusing with multiple layers/groups and doesnt seem like positive behavior on the software’s part.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
Buko
Feb 8, 2007
Point 2 Can’t you just command click all the layers associated with adjustment layer and move them together?

Or you could put all the stuff in a folder that is connected.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 8, 2007
Yes – but selecting all those clipping mask layers (sometimes it could be in the double digits) seems a step backwards from previous versions.
B
Buko
Feb 8, 2007
Thats where the folder comes in handy.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 8, 2007
Didnt really NEED the folder(group) in previous versions, guess I do now.

Um, how is this progress?
B
Buko
Feb 8, 2007
Um, how is this progress?

weeeeeell, its the next version it has to be progress. B)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections