Hundreds of old scans open in Preview instead of Photoshop!

IB
Posted By
Ian_Brown
Jul 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just moved hundreds (maybe thousands) of slides that were scanned 5 years ago to my new iMac 2.8 (Penryn) and Photoshop CS3.

When I double click the slides in Bridge they open in Preview ! (This never happened when I used Photoshop Elements 2).

If I control-click each original slide and select "Get Info" it says "Open with Preview".

Now I could spend the next few days changing them all to "Open with Photoshop" BUT is there an automatic way of altering them all reasonably rapidly ?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Jul 19, 2008
Get Info on one file. Open With… choose Photoshop. The Change All button will be highlighted. Click Change All.
IB
Ian_Brown
Jul 19, 2008
Thanks Welles ………. you seem to have answered before I posted the question !

Telepathy ? I am very impressed.

One more question ……. I have just noticed that when I select a picture, the image in Bridge’s Preview screen looks very mottled or mosaic like.

I assume this is because it was scanned originally when I was using OS 9.2 and PSE2 etc.

Is there a quick way (or any way at all) of making the Preview image crisp as it should be ?
B
Buko
Jul 19, 2008
yes OS 9 had smaller thumbnails the only way to make them better is to resave in Photoshop.
IB
Ian_Brown
Jul 19, 2008
Thanks Buko.

Would that have to be done individually or is there a rapid batch feature as I am not going to do a thousand or so one at a time?

It makes you wonder whether in another 5 years there will be incompatibilities between the photos we are making now and the future Photoshop or Mac OS.
IB
Ian_Brown
Jul 19, 2008
Just realised I could use File>Scripts>Image Processor.
B
Buko
Jul 19, 2008
Just realised I could use File>Scripts>Image Processor.

Yup.

Also bridge will show you the high res image as it draws its own thumbnail.
IB
Ian_Brown
Jul 19, 2008
Thanks.

I think I will re-scan them in the near future as they were done at the ridiculously low 800ppi because of equipment limitations and slowness……. 3200ppi should do it.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections