Posted By
Ross_Kerslake
Jul 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey

I’ve been told by some printers that I need to put a bleed edge for them. I’m alright with that part….

But they asked for me to put bleed edge marks so I don’t have to pay for the extra layout costs.

Any idea what they meant or how to do it?

Thanks very much

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
Buko
Jul 22, 2008
Layouts are usually done in InDesign when you layout your card the app adds these marks for you Photoshop is not a layout app its an image editing app. so you need to make the card on an oversize canvas. bleed is usually 1/8 of an inch. you really don’t need bleed marks but you do need trim marks.
JM
J_Maloney
Jul 22, 2008
I’m sure the phone conversation took longer than it would for your printer to add bleed marks. Personally I always hated "bleed" marks added by the customer for a bunch of reasons, but to each their own.

Make a file 1 inch bigger than your BC (typically a file 4.5 x 3). Then make guides at 0.375 and 0.5 inches from the top, bottom, left and right. If you set your rulers to inches and hold the shift key while you draw the guides (click on the ruler and drag into the image), you should have an easier time hitting 0.5. Make sure the info palette is visible so you can see the guide coordinates.

Then use the pencil tool with 2 pixels width to paint (in black) the marks. Make sure to stay outside the 0.375 guides. This is your bleed and you don’t want marks creeping into it. Use the marquee tool to check you got the size right: the inner box (trim) should be 3.5 x 2, and the outer box (bleed) should be 3.75 x 2.25.

If I were to build a bleed BC, I would build it 3.75 x 2.25 and tell them it bleeds on all four sides. Their stance is a red flag as far as I’m concerned.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1QiaNSqTDXE8Mn7Gup jbRHFh6kjM>

J

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections