Move focus to next window in active application–why not working in PSD?

ET
Posted By
envelope_the_frontcat
Jul 22, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
AKA clover-`

Illustrator supports this highly useful command shortcut, as do many other applications like Acrobat.

I need this capability very badly.

Is there a workaround to enable this kind of shortcut?

erik

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Jul 22, 2008
then there is F9
ET
envelope_the_frontcat
Jul 22, 2008
That is one workaround–thanks for pointing it out.

F9 involves considerably more cognitive effort as you have to press F9, find the document in the screen and click on it; whereas Clover-` could take you in one keystroke to your next document. If you are constantly flipping between open documents, that adds up.

envelope
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 22, 2008
Clover

I had to think about that for a moment. That is the "Command" key, so if you see instructions referring to it, you’ll know.

Neil
ET
envelope_the_frontcat
Jul 22, 2008
On my Logitech keyboard there is no ‘command’ label, just clover, apple, and Alt. I tend to use the term clover due to using a Mac for a long time.

env
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 22, 2008
envelope,

Been using Macs since January 1991. Never heard "clover" as substitute for the "Command" key. "Pretzel" maybe, and "Apple" sometimes; but never "clover". <g>

Neil
B
Buko
Jul 23, 2008
puppy foot
DH
Derek_Hughes
Jul 23, 2008
In Photoshop Control Tab does this.
JP
jean_p
Jul 23, 2008
Indeed it does. Thanks for the tip.
ET
envelope_the_frontcat
Jul 24, 2008
Well I’ve been using Macs since 1985 or so. Clover may have been a term just used by some Mac users in some geographies in the early days. I have no idea. The thing about it is, it is intuitively obvious what it refers to as the shape of the symbol on the key looks like a clover and no other key does.

It would be a nice thing if Adobe was consistent in supporting this commonly used shortcut.

Now to remap it to the system wide shortcut.

envelope
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 24, 2008
The thing about it is, it is intuitively obvious what it refers to as the shape of the symbol on the key looks like a clover and no other key does.

But only a Four-leafed Clover — and those are extremely rare.

As is the use of the word "Clover" for the Command key.

I have NEVER heard, or read, of the use of that term anywhere — until now; so it’s not surprising that most of us had no idea what you were talking about.

8/
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 24, 2008
On my Logitech keyboard there is no ‘command’ label

Not to belabor this, and for future reference, although the word "Command" is not used with or in place of its icon, even on Apple keyboards, in every written or spoken reference by Apple, the key is always referred to as the "Command" key.

Use of Apple’s "official" name for the key reduces reader confusion and increases the likelihood of a good response to any related questions.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections